The person whom you came across is very likely one who really has given little thought to why he fishes the way he does. Therefor he has no understanding of why anyone would fish the way you do.
This reminds me of a famous quatation I made up while having a discussion with a person not at all unlike your aquaintance.
"He who does not respect the least of fish, deserves not the priviledge of catching the greatest of fish"
GEE 2009 while fishing for fish!
We really do need to continue to foster respect among each other as people, only then will we be capable of respecting each others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
Courious, this sport "leans" towards trout and "implies a snobbery of sort ...to some, not me).

Do you fish Trout or what is available?

Central Ohio so no real Trouting by me...I fish for what is taking in general.

This is promoted by a conversation this AM with a gentleman that had to continually and loudly announce to me that he did indeed fly fish and was only showing the grandkids the pond...his rod was in he car..

This guy proceeded to list the private clubs in Ohio that he was a member of in order to fish for Trout...he recoiled when I mentioned that he had spooked a carp off my fly when he loudly ran over to me....even suggested that it was lucky he came along before that trash fish ate the fly.

Proceeded to ask what fly I was using and even inquired as to whom had tied it...seemed disgusted when I said I had, though he hadn't even seen the fly!

Unchanged by this encounter but got me curious as to who fishes for what and why if you care to share.