+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slimey Carp?

Hybrid View

Default Slimey Carp?

I got to get out during my lunch break today and fish a creek close to my office (Big Walnut not far below the dam, for those from the area). I've been pounding a stretch of water pretty hard for about a week trying to hook up with one of the many carp in the area. Finally I stalked one who decided to stay in the shallows instead of in the deeper water.

I tossed my Pine Squirrel Crayfish (something I made up after tying and fishing some of John Scott's Pine Squirrel Cheaters) a few feet up stream from him and crawled it down to him on the rocks. It was great to watch him meander over in no hurry to suck up the fly in the clear shallow water.

After a very disappointing fight (only 2 decent runs) I brought him in to release him and noticed that he was absolutely covered in slime. Thick, white disgusting slime. I haven't ever seen a carp so slimey. He wasn't gold or orange at all and I started to wonder if he was actually some kind of big sucker. I'd guess him at around 25 inches long but he was incredibly tall. He didn't have a very distinct shoulder like a lot of other carp I've caught either.
    What do you guys think? Sucker or slimey carp? I took a pic with my phone but it is of the back of the fish and you really can't tell much about him. I'll try to get it loaded though.
    Leave No Trace

carpsuckers have a tall dorsal fin and the are light colored. Don't know about the slime. Yuck.

Almost sounds like a big head carp (one of the asian nasties) they tend to be COVERED in a horrible nasty thick disgusting slime, and the fight from them can be really disappointing.

Steve

Below that resevoir, I am guessing possibly a Buffalo Sucker.

I believe the current state record comes from Hoover.

A google search turned this photo up.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photo...8/cat/blog.php

There is one mounted in the Old Dutchman and if that isn't whatt you had swing by there and ask around..they'll know for sure, I bet.

Default Buffalo

I just read something the other day about Buffs having a slime layer. As the guy said, "great to catch, but disgusting to unhook."
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Here is a pic of the fish.

Coloration looks to be a buffalo sucker, but I still don't know. Maybe I'll stop in at the Old Dutchman and I ask. When I went out today I still had that crappy slime stuck on my waders! It is tough to get off.
    Honestly, I hope that is the last time i catch one of those things!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leave No Trace

Hard to tell from that angle, but it looks like a common carp to me. This, however, sounds nothing like a common carp:

Quote Originally Posted by Wild One View Post
    After a very disappointing fight (only 2 decent runs)

I've never hooked a carp whose fight was anything less than incredible.

That's a buff... they look just like a common carp, good eaing too, can pickle the fillets just like a herring. From the top they do look just like a common just a little lighter colored but from the side they are much lighter colored.

Steve

Looks like a River Carpsucker or Quillback to me.

carpsucker:

Quillback:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread