+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Float Tube Quandry

Default Float Tube Quandry

I guess I have to blame Neil T. for this, but I've been considering a float tube again. After reading his article about Belly Boats a couple of weeks ago, I remember how relaxing and fun fishing from a float tube can be. My question here is; does anyone have any experience with the Kennebec float tube? They are available from Cabela's (5 miles from me) and the price seems reasonable. I am in the 260 pound class and the Super Fat Cat is WAY out of the realm of financial possibility. What say friends? Any thoughts here?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Smile

Joe what about a pontoon ? I find them way better than the tubes.

I had a waterskeeter tube the deluxe model with the double decker tubes where you sit a lot higher in the water. It was way way better than the single tube models. Easier to cast and keeps your gear up out of the water better.

I loved it but it made my knees cold so I was limited to about an hour or two at a time in the water. Al Campbell told me about the Waterskeeter which solved my problem as your knees are kept up and out of the cold water. Visibility is better and you can manouver better.

Still, given a choice I'd take a pontoon everytime over a tube.

Seabarf rules.....ha ha.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee,
    Ordinarily I would agree 100% with you. But I just sold a pontoon. The weight issue became a problem for me loading and unloading. I'm getting older and I can't handle near as much weight as I used to. I remember the portability of a float tube and I like that feature. And, they don't weigh near as much as a steel frame pontoon. I'm also considering a substantially less expensive outlay of cash. Thanks for the idea. I agree with you about the versatility of a toon, but I think I'm more inclined toward the tube.
    Gettin' old is the pits, but it beats the alternative.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

My wife and I just bought Creek Company model 420 tubes. They are rated to hold 300 lbs. I believe. We have pontoon boats but lately we have been using the tubes more as they are so much easier to deal with. Quick and easy and you can do it all yourself if you want to fish alone.
    I got ours thru Ebay as there is a seller there that sells a lot of Creek company products at significantly below retail prices.

Joe, What TB said. Creek Company has the 420 tube on sale for $180. Go to www.creekcompany.com. It's in their Friday specials sale. It's rated for 300 lbs. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I am going to echo that 420. I don't own one, never have but have ALLOT of friends that swear by them.

What FG said...haven't owned one either but have seen some very good reviews...and they were comparing with Super Fat Cats....

There's a small company in Oklahoma that makes float tubes. Having fished out of tubes for over 15 years (and I'm only 26), I'd say they're the best on the market. When you throw in the price, it's not even a competition.

An extra large (up to 300 lbs) is $105, an extra large deluxe is $129.

http://oklahomabassfishing.com/outdoorpride.html

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    There's a small company in Oklahoma that makes float tubes. Having fished out of tubes for over 15 years (and I'm only 26), I'd say they're the best on the market. When you throw in the price, it's not even a competition.

That's a belly boat which is ok but you will sit low in the water (cold - harder to cast) and entry and exit is way more difficult.
    For a little extra money the V* boat is superior.
    I am about 240 and the Deluxe Fishcat (inflatable seat) is just fine.
    The Creekcompany boat looks very similar.
    Last edited by Duffin Boy; 07-31-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Mine is a V not a U I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post

As far as Donuts go, those are a little on the HIGH price, but they look well built.
    Like mentioned though, sit lower, harder to cast from, no elbow room and even for someone young like you, definitely OLD SCHOOL.

In my opinion, a "U" tube isn't much better. The only advantage is easier to get in and out of to a point. You still have that cross bar that can be a pain.
    You are still sitting way in the water.

A "V" boat is the best choice and I would add, the bigger the better and to me that is the H3. But price wise, you can't beat that ODC.

Just remember, the less expensive tubes like ODC are ASIAN made. The quality control on VINYL is not a big issue so it varies allot.
    Vinyl is not anywhere near the quality of URETHANE, and will be more....fragile for lack of a better word.
    Effected by Temp., Altitude, and folding, much more so life expectance of Vinyl is allot less than Urethane.

YOU GENERALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

+ Reply to Thread