I work in a custom cabinetry shop, and we have tested the new water based lacquers. They do set up harder and wear better once dry. They can be clearer (good for woodworking), but at this time we cannot afford to switch to the water based products because the drying time is so much longer. Our timeline would have to change drastically, as well as our procedures. The lacquer we use now can be touch dry in 10min, which for us means no dust settling into the finish on the final coat leaving a great surface. With the waterbased, we'd have to double the air filtering to remove dust in the spray room, and we'd still have problems. At this point we can remove parts from the drying racks in 30min. With water based we'd have to extend that to an hour, which doubles the time for parts to move through the spray room. At this time, unless legislation changes thing, we simply can't afford to use water based.

As for fly tying, I'm not a production tyer, and taking the time for one or two more coats is not unbearable. I don't mind using it. But if I was tying to sell, then that's another issue.

Dave