+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Head Cement

Hybrid View

Angry Fly Head Cement

The oxymoron to end all oxymorons...water based cement?

Was on my last drops of cement and went to the local shop to get cement. All he had was water based cement. He told me the other cement was on back order for so long and becoming harder and harder to get that he finally had to give in and order the water based. Said this waterbased stuff was more enviormentally friendly (what?!) and doesn't require thinner, except H2O when needed.

Comments? Is this guy selling me a bill of goods?

I've tied up some flies; and, I'm not getting the same gloss as the 'olde' stuff plus the first coat seems to soak in warranting multiple coats. Other problems, because it is more liquid it wants to run into my eye and requires overnight drying to to assure it won't disolve. I've already glued one fly to my finger. I thought it was dry enough to move from vise to my foam board for further drying and the fly stuck to my index finger! Now I have to set my vise in front of a fan to dry when I could be starting a new fly!

Please don't tell me the industry has changed over. Please assure me the 'olde' stuff is still being made. Please oh please oh please.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

head to the local home improvement boutique, get yourself a can of clear lacquer and a can of lacquer thinner. thats about a lifetime supply of cement.Hopefully you saved the little square jar the old stuff cam in to put the new into. put a marble or some shot to facilitate mixing the base and thinner. total cost about 12 bucks.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

If water based isn't working for you I recommend Sally Hansons Hard As Nails finger nail polish. Clear works as an all around choice but it also comes in a variety of colors. The black works very well on streamer heads. Dries pretty fast and if thinning is required a few drops of fingernail polish remover seems to do the job.
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    If water based isn't working for you I recommend Sally Hansons Hard As Nails finger nail polish. Clear works as an all around choice but it also comes in a variety of colors. The black works very well on streamer heads. Dries pretty fast and if thinning is required a few drops of fingernail polish remover seems to do the job.
    YEA !!! besides that, sallys dont wick into the tying material like water base head cement will... dries fast too..
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Cold Guest

I use Sally Hansen's as well. With a single application, it is a dull finish, with multiple coats, it gets glossy. Doesnt harden in the bottle, and, as said, dries fairly quickly.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Very Happy with Fly-Tite Cement

Hi Jim,

I've used Fly Tite Head Cement since I came back to fly tying in 2000. It thins with alcohol and has no noticiable smell. It has proven to be highly satisfactory and holds well with one application. For a little more gloss, I use two coats. For display flies, I go with Sally Hansen. I grew up with the scent of Herter's head cement and that smell still means fly tying to me but Fly Tite has proven to be a really good substitute and it doesn't kill brain cells as quickly as the Herters brand. Like other who have posted earlier, I have no complaints. 8T

These days, with the exception of flies I tie for swaps, I don't use head cement. Whip finish seems to do the job just fine.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

in order of preference:
    whip finish
    water based
    any inexpensive nail polish - mine is .99 at RiteAid.

Default head cement

I guess I have used almost everything hat has come on the market.
    If I want a shiny build up head, then it is Sally H.
    A couple years ago I was at a show and my booth was close to Chris Helm.
    I was watching him and when he went to add head cement, I asked what kind he was using?
    FLY-TIGHT, Made by FLY-RITE, Inc. I purchased a 2 oz bottle from Chris. It is the best I have ever used. No Toxic Solvent Fumes. It uses Denatured ethyl alcohol to dilute if needed. ( I have never needed to dikute.) It has never solidified in my applicator bottle, no mess, does not stick or dry in the fine tube of the applicator. (all others have given me a problem by messin up the tube)
    The price tag is still on the bottle, $4.50
    I'm not sure where it can be purchased?
    Tip:
    If cement runs into the eye of your hook, just stick the stem of a cut off hackle and draw it thru the eye. I routinely do this as I tie on all flies. (hate to have an eye closed up when fishin) It dries quickly.

Denny

Cool Wet & Wild !!!

I use Wet & Wild Rock Solid Nail Polish for head cement, to coat nymph & caddis larva bodies, etc. For the head usually a coat of water based cement, then a coat of wet & wild rock solid. You get a very nice glassy sheen to your head !!!!

+ Reply to Thread