+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peacock Herl

Hybrid View

Question Peacock Herl

First lemme say I do not get to post much here but I love y'alls outlook on fly tying. Seems no one takes themselves too seriously, which is good, cause if you saw my flies you would understand true humility.

My Question: I am tying 18 and 20 Chrinomides (sp) that have a little herl collar just behind the bead. My herl is 'Peacock Herl, Strung, 1/4 oz'. The problem is that the strands are so brittle. It is nearly impossible to wrap one and have it not break.

Is there a technique to wrap herl? Or, is there a way to prep herl so it is not brittle?

Default Hey MarkF

I have had the same problem. I am by no means an expert, but i just try not to pull so hard on the herl as it is very delicate. Other than that I have clue how to solve the problem. Also, there is a group under community called Texas Flies that are a bunch of us from Texas. Stop by and say hi sometime.
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

You could try cutting back the first inch of the herl, some time tips are more fragile. When I wrap multiple herls for larger flies, I tie them in, twist them around the tying thread and wrap (thread re-enforces the peacock); this also works for single herl on smaller flies, but you have to be a bit more gentle. You may have some older herl that has dried out and needs to be replaced. You could also skip herl and use synthetic dubbing in peacock color (Arizona, Ice Dub, etc) - the stuff works but I still think nothing beats real peacock. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Scott

Mark,

Try to find whole pecock tale feathers at a craft store. Use the small thinner hearl close to the bottom of the feather. That seams to work for me with very small flies.
    "Don't mess with the Mule, just load the wagon"
    David L
    Roseburg Or.

I agree with ScottP about wrapping the herl and the threasd. On any peocock herl, even a single strand, I tie in the herl then grab the herl and the thread ind twist them together almost like a dubbing loop and wrap that on the hook. You might also try overwrapping the herl with the tying thread.
    Walt

I seem to have this problem more with feathers that I have had for a few years.

I also wrap the herl around my tying thread. The thread is barely noticable if you use 08 thread.

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

Default Let it slip

Let the herl slide through your fingers as you wind WITH YOUR FINGERS. Don't use hackle pliers. Never directly pull on the herl, always let it slip. Use two hands and never grasp it tightly. You'll be able to wind virtually anything and not break it, unless it is just not pliable enough. Some stripped quills can be brittle, along with some biots, and those you have to soak. I've never had a problem with herl though.
    Eric

I'm all for using a herl "rope" or dubbing loop. You'll rarely if ever break a herl that way and it will make the fly much more durable when it comes to fishing it.
    Gary Miller
    www.FlyArtbyGAry.com

Please visit my Facebook Page
    http://Facebook.FlyArtbyGary.com

You can follow me on Twitter.
    http://twitter.com/FlyArtbyGary

peacock herl can be difficult to work wiht at times, and all the suggestions you have been given are good ones . my suggestion would be , have you tried some ice dubbing instead of peacock herl. it gives the same coloration and appearance, and dubs easily,but does not give the movement that peacock herl does. if you want to maiintain the movement, and are not hung up on the coloration, you might try ostrich herl. it seems a little more durable to me and comes in just about any color you can think of, except peacock.

You have lots of votes for the "rope" method here, and that is the best way. I agree that the stuff off the feathers is best, but I still use strung too because I have so much of it. You could put the herl between two wet paper towels (or even steam them a little) to make them more pliable.

+ Reply to Thread