Our local TU has offered a beginning fly tying class for a number of years and we have tried an intermediate class in the past but for whatever reason it was a one time thing. We have decided to try it again and I have been asked to be apart of the discussion on what is the best way to go about the class.

I don't think of myself as a great tier by any means and am relatively new at this myself, but I also learned long ago that one of the best ways to learn new things for yourself is to teach; it absolutely makes you analyze your own techniques and what you consider fundamentals.

A much more experienced tier will lead the class. He is both articulate and skilled. I have been asked to assist and asked for my input. I wish to tap into the collective experiences here for some guidance. We have some rough parameters so far which include:

Must have your own tools. This will save on logistics and it shows the tiers commitment to the hobby.

Must have two years of tying experience.

What type of requirements might you suggest? We don't want it too restrictive, but don't want it so open that people that aren't serious or can't put thread on a hook want to sign up.

One of the things that I would like to promote is different techniques that can be applied to many different flies. I wish to teach techniques so that students can applies these to any pattern they want. What types of techniques to you think are appropriate for this class and what patterns would you think would best represent the teaching of your suggestion?

I would like the latter patterns to build on the beginning patterns in somewhat of a logical way.

As in much of life there is no need to recreate the wheel and would really like to avoid any pitfalls that you might have had in either taking such a class in the past or teaching one.

Thanks in advance for all of your ideas.

Rick