Sport fishing column for July 27 to Aug 3, 2009

For the passed two weeks Kim and I (yes my wife helps with these columns; I couldn't do as well with out her help and wouldn't want to anyway) have been baiting all of you with the subject of family fishing. Let us start with a statement we hear all too often. "I don't take my kids fishing because I don't know what I am doing." Please forgive my boldness, when I say that statement is Ludicrous! Nobody knows how to fish when they start, just start. Dads this is your part; borrow a book from the library (don't just look at it; read it), buy some rods (They don't have to be expensive, starter kits are fine, remember you are learning) and go. The kids don't care if you are a novice; they just want to have fun. Making it fun while you learn together will bring them back to you for future fishing adventures. More next week.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes are fair to slow. Early mornings and late evenings in the south west regions of your favorite lake are the times to be fishing until we get some cooler weather. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Black Ant, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible. For Kokanee: try Red Abbis, red Spratley, red Tom Thumb, red or pink Leach, or Double Trude.

Our local bass, and panfish fishing is in prime time with the heat; evenings are best. For bass and panfish try: Clouser's Deep Minnow, Crayfish, Poppers, Big Black, Stimulator, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Tied down Minnow, or Tom Thumb.

The fishing on all of our interior lakes is fair to slow. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid (the big bombers), Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. If dry fly is your fancy try: Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is fishing fair for springs, but good for dolly varden, and cutthroat. For spring try: Big Black, Popsicle, black GP, Squamish Poacher, flat black, or Kaufmann's Stone. For cutthroat try: Professor, Rolled Muddler, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Zulu, Lioness, Big Black, Coachman, Cezch Nymph, Sixpack or Mickey Finn. For dolly varden try: Large (#4 to #2) Eggo, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Zonker, Big Black or Kaufmann's Stone.

The Stave River is fair to good for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Big Black, Zulu, Souboo, Royal Coachman, Elk Hair Caddis, Kaufmann's Stone, Adams, Irresistible, Stimulator, or Renegade.

The Vedder River is slow for spring and fair rainbow.

The Harrison is fair to good for rainbow and cutthroat.

The Thompson River is the bright spot this week, with good fishing for rainbow. Try: Joe's Hopper, Kaufmann's Stone, Irresistible, Tom Thumb, Rolled Muddler, or Stimulator.

Need fishing lessons? Call us "Reel Life Ministries" at 1-604-820-4099.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".