Every year, along about the time we are polishing off the remains of the 4th of July picnic my thoughts turn to Kelly Creek Idaho. A quick check of the forest service web site tells me if the road over Hoodoo pass is clear of winter snows and if it is I religously watch the river flows. When the readings at the Canyon ranger station fall below 2000 cfs I know it is time. The trailer is packed and the fishing gear is checked over one more time.

Kelly Creek is no secret and it attracts more and more people every year. The only thing that saves it is its remoteness. No matter whether you approach from the Montana side or the Idaho side, there will be 50 miles of forest service gravel roads to travel. Don't forget anything. There are no fly shops, gas stations, or groceries except at the ends of those gravel roads. Is it worth it? Oh Yeah!

I have just returned from a week chasing the cutthroats and thought I would share a few pictures. Fish are plentiful and although cutt's have a reputation of being easy, don't count on it. This is C & R water and the fish are shall we say cautious. However, if the light is right, your fly is acceptable, and you have nerves of steel, you may just experience watching a 16" cutt slowly rise from the depths of the crystal clear water and calmly sip a small dry from the surface. All it takes is once and you will be back every year, Like me. Still, Kelly Creek is about much more than fishing. Just being there will rejuvenate the soul.

KELLY CREEK

A FAVORITE POOL

THERE ARE MILES OF WATER LIKE THIS

A TYPICAL KELLY CUTT

JULY IS PEAK WILDFLOWER SEASON TOO