+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kelly Creek

Joel, it has been a few years but I used to camp at the airstrip where 581 crosses Cayuse and fish two or three miles up and down stream. I love it there too.

I have always kind of wanted to do the loop, Hike down Cayuse to Kelly and then back down Kelly to the bridge. It always seemed that that would require more hiking than fishing or I would never get to the other end. Sounds like something John Scott would love.

Thanks
    Shaky;

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    Joel, it has been a few years but I used to camp at the airstrip where 581 crosses Cayuse and fish two or three miles up and down stream. I love it there too.

I have always kind of wanted to do the loop, Hike down Cayuse to Kelly and then back down Kelly to the bridge. It always seemed that that would require more hiking than fishing or I would never get to the other end. Sounds like something John Scott would love.

Thanks
    Rick -

You might just be right about that. How long a hike would you estimate it to be, with what kind of elevation gain and loss ?? Maybe we can get together a party ?? I'm already commited to exploring Kelly Creek, as you know from my last PM, and this might be a good start on it.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Very Nice

Thanks for the great pics,
    I have had the pleasure of 2 very memorable fishing trips, Stayed at Kelly forks, Cpgd what a wonderful place the fishing was good both times, I have wanted to make a return trip this makes it even more of a pull to go back!!!

Flyfisher121

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Thank you!

Hi Shaky,

Beautiful pictures of an amazingly beautiful place. Thank you for sharing. 8T

Thumbs up

John,

On the topo maps that I use, the change in elevation is minimal. The total distance that Shaky is talking about in following Cayuse Creek to Kelly Creek, and then back to the bridge is probably about 12-13 miles of hiking. It's an all day walk with fishing time included. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Joel -

Thanks much for the information on the "hike." I was looking at topos for that area but I don't have any experience on the ground up there so interpretting the topos is pretty iffy.

Unless there is a trail, it sounds like a doable hike on a long summer day but without much time for fishing, if you are having to make your way in or along the creeks and bushwack a good part of the time ?? With a decent trail most or all of the way, there should be a fair amount of time for fishing.

I guess a two day / one night backpack would be another option, and maybe a better one.

Next time I go up to Missoula, I will make some time to start checking Kelly and Cayuse Creeks out on the ground. The topos show a route in to Kelly Creek from US 12 about 12 miles west of Lolo Pass, but that looks like 45 miles or so of really rough conditions, to the confluence of the North Fork of the Clearwater and Kelly Creek. I take it that the road over the mountains from the Superior area is not quite so difficult ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Default The hike

John;

On my Forest Service map, from the 581 road down Cayuse to Kelly scales at 3.5 miles. From there down Kelly to the bridge is 4.0 Add maybe 40% for twists and turns and you end up with about 10 miles. There is a well worn trail along the North bank of Kelly that runs clear up into the headwaters so at least half has a good trail. The map also shows a trail along the West bank of Cayuse but I have never found it. If its there at all it is up on the hillsides and wouldn't be much use if you wanted to fish Cayuse. I think this portion would have to be along the stream bank with a lot of rock hopping.

Also, if you have access to Google Earth on your computer, it gives you a good 3d topo view and the lay of the land. If you don't, get it. It's free from google.

As far as roads go, 250 from Superior is mostly good two lane gravel with a short section that is actually paved. The section that follows the N. F. of the Clearwater is good but narrow. Total distance Superior to the confluence of Kelly and the Clearwater is 53 miles.

I have been several miles up road 581 from Cayuse towards Lolo and it is much narrower with lots of winding around ridges. I suspect it would be much slower.
    Shaky;

Thumbs up

Shaky,
    Your numbers and road reports are right on. You are also correct about the trails. The one along Kelly Creek is good and there isn't one that I found on Cayuse. My trek down Cayuse was mostly in/along the water's edge. Thanks.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread