Bob's article was well written, as usual, and had lots of good information.

I would make a couple points from my experience trout fishing here in the Intermountain West.

First, not all midges are tiny little things you can't hardly see. My best midge larva pattern ( the t.c.t.k. ) is tied on a size 16 1X short scud hook and works everywhere I fish it in moving water. A friend of mine, one of the top stillwater fishermen in this area, ties the same fly in sizes up to 12 1X short for lake fishing for trout. As far as adult midges go, we have them up to size 16 on some streams around here.

Second, maybe it is a knee jerk ( or just jerk ) reaction, but I can't see the expression "8X tippet" without speaking out about it. NO WAY. I routinely fish midge patterns on 4X tippet where there are some larger trouts to catch, and might drop down to 5X if there are only smaller trouts to be caught. Last time I checked, Jimmy's All Seasons Angler won't even stock 7X or smaller tippet. Not sure if Jimmy just doesn't see a market for it around here, or if he just won't cater to those who think they need it to catch trout.

John