+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Castwell Knot for Backing to Fly Line?

Default Castwell Knot for Backing to Fly Line?

I really like the Castwell knot. Can I use it to attach backing to fly line? I think about it and I don't see why it will not work. If I put a loop in the backing and tie the Castwell Knot with the fly line onto the backing...it seems no difference to me than using it for line to leader?

I suppose you could. Make the connection then pull real hard on it, throw in a few sharp jerks, and see how it holds up.

A couple of thoughts:

The backing may be too thin for the line to grab well. If the case make your backing loop so that it has two strands and try again.

I wonder if going through the guides might potentially knock the knot loose? Not an issue if you never see your backing while fishing.

I put a loop in the backing with a bimini on all my reels and put a loop on the back end of all my fly lines to make for easy line changes. If it works, the Castwell knot would also make for quick line changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
    I really like the Castwell knot. Can I use it to attach backing to fly line? I think about it and I don't see why it will not work. If I put a loop in the backing and tie the Castwell Knot with the fly line onto the backing...it seems no difference to me than using it for line to leader?
    It'll work.

Default Do It

Jim -

I do use the Castwell Knot for that connection. Having said that, I need to add that I haven't seen my backing for a loooooonnnnng time. But then again, I don't plan to see it, and if I do, I'll deal with the consequences, whatever they may be.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for the posting of your thoughts. It is such an easy knot to throw on when you are rigging a line on a reel. Piece of cake. I have read where the line to leader was the only place it could be used. I think they were all thinking about the rest of the way.....meaning wouldn't work on leader to tippet. I think it will work on backing to line and have put it on one already. I put a dab of UV Knot Sense over it just to make me feel better.

But with the above comments....I am going to use it more often. I will see my line to backing sometimes when boating...will liet all line out just to let it stretch a bit. But that would be no problem with the knot. I have only seen backing once in my few years of fly fishing. So it sure isn't going to happen very often. I like John's comment...if it happens he will just deal with it. I think it will hold. The backing will probably dig into the line just as well if not better than the leader does. Especially if you are using a furled leader. Then I think the backing will hold even better.

Thanks everyone.

I found a piece of old flyline and tested it myself. As long as I made sure to cinch the knot down tight it seem to hold up to a steady pressure and a jerk test. It worked will with both spectra and dacron backing. It seems that it would be fine for most fresh and some light saltwater angling. What about big game saltwater? I would probably rely on more tried and true connections rather than risk losing a flyline.

+ Reply to Thread