+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something you may not have thought about...

Default Something you may not have thought about...

One day while waiting in line and Lowe's, I saw these "Magnetic Business Card" holders. So you could stick your business card on one of these and give it to someone for a fridge magnet.
    Well, I never used them for that, really.
    But I did think about it for my tying area and stuck 5 of them on the board my vise is mounted to.
    Now, instead of opening the hook box over and over, I get out the number of hooks I want to tye and put them on one of these stuck-down magnets to hold until I pick one up with my tweezers for the vise.
    Yesterday I was tying some fly's (red butt ants) I wanted to do in two parts and the half finished fly's just stuck there magically until I remounted them for part dux of my process.
    I'm also hoping that a dropped hook will be attracted to the magnetic pad, instead of my foot (sock) on the floor.
    So if you find some of these, or wonder about a better use for one of these fridge magnets... think about your tying area to hold some hooks.

And yeah, I know, please excuse the beer can rings on the Tying Board. My bad!
    Last edited by Sonny Edmonds; 07-26-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Rings on the board...
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hiya Sonny....
    I been usin mag strips for years... they're excellent. I too have seen those at lowe's, but never snagged any. I will now. I also have a little "hook dish" it's basically a round, fairly heavy aluminum dish. maybe three inches across and half an inch deep with a polished bowl like inside. very nice, especially for small hooks. makes them easy to pick up. Oh, and beer rings are cool. They're made with cold beers, right ??
    By the way.....ain't ya 'sposed to have way more stuff layin around on yer bench ?
    ..................ModocDan

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by modocdan View Post
    Oh, and beer rings are cool. They're made with cold beers, right ??
    By the way.....ain't ya 'sposed to have way more stuff layin around on yer bench ?
    ..................ModocDan
    Yeah, Dan, cold ones for sure. I do and will imbibe ambient when present company is of that ilk. But prefer my "American peas beer" as one Limey Friend used to say.
    I doo have a lot more crap scattered around the area. I was too embarassed to do a wide angle shot. It is my "Home Orifice" I demanded when the wife and I were looking at houses.
    I have two prerequisites, the garage is mine for a shop. And one room is mine for my compooter junk. (Emphasis on the junk part. )
    God Bless her, she has never varied on that. And here, I have a den (office) that adjoins the shop from the house. I'm in heaven!
    I was so excited to get to tying when the Norvise arrived, I just grabbed what would work for the vise and clamped it up. I will (I promise) someday make a better one. Honest....
    I just didn't think about the magnetic's before. Good use for otherwise junk.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Default Magnetic sheets

I not only use them at my tying bench but in my fly boxes.
    Sure nice to open a fly box and not have the wind blow out the fly I want to tie on.
    Just epoxy the sheet into the box.
    Recently gos several fly boxes from Dan Bob that have the small magnets in each compartment. They work great also.

Denny

Normand Guest

my tying bench i bought in the 80's had them attached. one place for holding hooks the other place for holding finished flies

Norm,......I noticed your "Bassbug" bodkin in your tool caddy:^) I have one just like that:^)

Sonny.....You know I have seen them before, but your most made me think about anotyher place I could use a magnet on my bench. Thanks much!

Cold Guest

Yup, I've got 2 magnetic strips about 7" long on the side of one of my drawer organizers, used mostly for holding finished flies. Below that, I have two blocks of closed cell foam (about 1/4 x 1/4 x 7), for the same purpose. Sometimes certain flies will lend themselves better to one system of hanging or another, and its nice to have both. The foam is also superior for hanging flies up for paint/glue/lacquer/etc to dry. Keeps the body out and away from everything else.

Can't remember why it ended up on my fly tying desk, but I have a fridge magnet that is about 2" x 2" that I use for holding hooks.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Magnets

TMC hooks come with a magnet in the package.
    Waste Not,Want Not, I glue them down to hold the flies while the glue dries.

+ Reply to Thread