Thread: Captsized My boat today

Threaded View

Default Captsized My boat today

Just FYI
    Fishing out of a little 8' fiberglass boat. Most people had left. I on the far side of the lake alone. Slipped and lurched toward one end of the boat. it started to take on water. Scrambled toward back but too late. Front wouldn't come up and back started to take on water. Then it all happened so fast. Boat just flipped. I came out ok but with a battery hanging in the water and a heavy anchor....me holding on to the the trolling motor shaft now sticking straight up into the air....I could not make headway anywhere. Fortunately boat was totally upside down....but would not sink. I tried to sidestroke toward three reels floating and drifting away. Could not catch them and got out of breath. Two young boy's playing in a canoe saw me and came to my rescue. They retreived the three reels. By then Game & Fish could tell I was in trouble and came to my rescue. Some people said they saw me...and the situation looked a bit odd but I was so far away they could not tell I was in trouble. All turned out ok. Lost a battery, rod, reel, line, and vest stuffed full of fly boxes because I wasn't wearing it. I had one hip pouch full of gear attached to boat and got to keep it. Learned a whole lot. WEAR the life jacket in the boat. You cannot put it on after you are in the water. I got one arm through but holding on to the boat with one hand....the open life vest that buckles on in front...is floating away from me. I cannot get second arm in it. Point being you need to WEAR IT WHILE FISHING. Secondly carry a whistle. I had none. Up here everyone knows what the sound of a whistle means and you are usually too out of breath to yell very loud for help. Also, keep gear in a water tight floating container attached to boat. Not an Ice chest. A BAG that can be zippered and closed up. Friend thought he had one but they did not waterproof the zippers. So his bag still filled with water. Have a WATER PROOF BAG for all gear....not a tackle box. AND DON'T GO OUT FISHING ALONE! I got lucky. Very very lucky.

I would like to add that you should have at least 100' of nylon achor rope. I tried to side stroke and kick but could not go anywhere because not enough rope and couldn't get anchor up. I was STUCK where I was. If I had more rope....I probably could have ditched the waders and gotten close enough to the opposite shore to stand up in the water!

Furthermore I wore hip waders. That way I put them on at home...with my river wading felt soled shoes...and just go to the lake. I can slide my little 8' boat into the water....and walk out into the water.....put things in it....and get in and go. Don't have to have it beached. Well....the waders filled up with water when I went under. NO HIP WADERS ON A BOAT!!!

Next time I will just wear my felt soled shoes and go out in shorts or blue jeans....wet wade if you wanna call it that. But no more wearing hip waders on my boat.

By the way...you think no HIP waders......ABSOLUTELY NO CHEST WADERS!

Just FYI
    Last edited by Gemrod; 07-30-2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Add a thought