+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to FAOO, and looking for info on TFO rods

Hybrid View

Default New to FAOL, and looking for info on TFO rods

Hey everyone, I am a new member, and I look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

I have been fly fishing for almost two years, and am completely hooked. I live in the Jackson Mississippi area, so every chance I get I drive to Arkansas and fish.

I am still using the original rod I bought for my first trip. It is a 5wt bass pro special, and it has done me well (even got my first grandslam on the Norfork a couple months ago), but I feel it is time to upgrade. I am looking at a TFO because of price and the warranty and it is all I know. I want to get a 4 wt, and spend no more then $200.

I anxiously await suggestions.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Bedlam; 07-26-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Default No more than $200

Welcome to FAOL Bedlam, you're going to like it here. Well, there are lots of great flyrods for $200 and under. The first thought i had was to ask if you've checked Cabela's. Then of course there are some sponsors right here in FAOL that sell flyrods. Hard to go wrong. One that comes to mind is Hook & Hackle.

An option is to read all you can find in the rod building section and wrap your
    own. This is a way to have a better (relative term) flyrod for the same $200 that you are willing to spend. Kits are available at the aforementioned Hook & Hackle and Ron will treat you well. Hope this helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

TFO makes a decent rod. This day and age, most rods you get at a price point are very similar in terms of quality. Cast any rod before you buy it, if at all possible, and buy the one that sings to you.

TFOs are decent, but I find for the same price point that Echo and Elkhorn make a better fit and finish rod.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TFO rods are very good rods and they make several 4wts under $200. I think the "Finesse" rods are the best small stream rods of the bunch.

Of course there are many other excellent rods for less than $200 and TyroneFly mentioned two. I really li,e St. Croix, Ross Worldwide and Redington models too. If you spend more than $75 its hard to get a bad rod these days and there are even a few gems less than that.

welcome from clinton mississippi! you have joined a fine group with some great members! i agree on the elkhorns also but also would add the wright and mcgill essentials. watch out for john scott his fishie pictures will have you drooling!

christopher haddad
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread