Thread: Night Fishing!!!

Threaded View

I'm no expert on night fishing (is anyone?) but since about half of my fishing is done well after dark i have learned a few things.

I like to arrive at my spot before dark and let my eyes adjust as night grows. You'd be surprised at how much you can really see once it gets dark.

I very rarely use a light, if i absolutely need to i use red as previously mentioned. I do however carry at least three different types of lights in varying sizes...just because you never know.

I learned how to change flies without the use of a light. I'm generally running at least 2x and using big flies so threading them is actually pretty easy.

If i'm going to fish a new area at night i scout it thoroughly during daylight hours, how am i getting in? how am i getting out? and the creek/stream/river it self for problematic, structures, trees, bushes etc.

If i'm working a particular section i usually fish it first upstream, quartering a big hex pattern (or stonefly, big hopper...what ever) up and across as i would during the daytime. You don't need to hit targets, i find most of the fish will be sitting in the middle of the stream (depending on how big your stream is) and they will move for it if its not right on their nose. Listen close because the take is often very subtle...sometimes just a "pop."

Once i get to the end of the section i usually give it 10 to 15 minutes, take the hex off and tie on a "mouce(ish)"
    type pattern and fish it back through downstream. There are many opinions as to how one should swing and/or strip and/or dead drift these type of patterns but to each his own.

I personally like to swing and strip it...but that's just me.

I think night fishing is an acquired taste. It can be exciting as hell, but can also bore you to tears.
    Last edited by brookid; 07-27-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: mistake
    thirdyearflyfisher.com