+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red butt epoxy ants

Hybrid View

My baby girl Maggie gets married tomorrow & lots of family in town for the weekend, but I'll tie some up & get pics posted Monday or Tuesday (hopefully).
    As far as epoxy goes, I use one of two....Devcon 2 ton to turn on my powered turner, or 5 minute stuff (97 cents at Harbor Freight) if just turned on a rotary vise. Actually, the Harbor Freight stuff (due to price) would be all I would use other than the very limited working time, so I use Devcon if I'm tying up several.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I went for an epoxy substitute for mine. I'm finding Loon Hard Head or Hard As Nails works just fine with les mess.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I really like that picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fished a creek day before yesterday. Bass were slow but the longear sunfish were active. I bet they would eat that fly up!
    Last edited by crappiecrazy; 07-24-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks, I thought it turned out pretty well,too. I'm guessing longears would go for it, too. The ones I have around here are pretty small dudes, but man are they pretty!

Looks like the fly to try!!!i know a few spots where trees hang over the water.....

Incredible fly...ohiotuber, thanks for sharing the recipe.

BUT! I have to say the picture is stellar!

Really, should be submitted to a magazine or two...warm water fly fishing gets little press and that shot is simply one of the best I've seen......thanks for sharing!

Pardon my ignorance, but is that fished like a wet fly?
    Or does it float?
    I'm already tying some up in #16 for my fly box. I'm doing the red first, then will come back on the brown second clamping.
    I don't have epoxy, so was thinking of using what I do have, Fly Head cement. Do you think that would work OK?
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Hi Bluegill 222,

The fly picture and pattern description look like the "transpar-ant", to your knowledge is that correct? I am just thinking about the folks who don't tie, and would like to have some of the flies.

(My spelling is highly suspect on the name of the fly. The name sounds like "transparent" only ends with "ant" instead of "ent", the emphasis when saying the name is on the syllable "ant.")

Sorry we didn't catch you on our trip to the NE Kansas area this spring. We had intended to go to the KC area to hit the fly shops, but ended up tying flies on the day we had set asside for fly shops.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

brhoff--Thanks

Sonny--as long as the head cement dries clear. It won't be as pretty as epoxy or Hard Head, but it should work. And yes, you'd fish it wet. It sinks real slow which I think is part of why it works so well.

Gandolf-- I'll just have to catch you next time around. At least the time was put to reputable use. And yes, very similar to the "transparant" that you can find in a fly shop near you.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Ok, you convinced me!

I'm sitting down at the tying vise in a couple of minutes and tying up 6 in size #14 and six in size #16. I'll give them the acid test here in South Carolina. Water temperature is getting high and the big guys are headed for deeper, cooler water. Fishing is getting tough. 8T

+ Reply to Thread