+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana could use a little precipitation

Gophers have been out here in town off and on all winter long. Real unusual to see that for sure. Ron

Scott, I see you live in Alberton and I wonder if we have met? I was one of the other three hundred residents for the last two years, but I live in missoula now. Anyway, I was over on the Locsha and Clearwater over the weekend and I have to wonder if the Locsha will even get high enough to whitewater raft this year. There is hardly any snow on Lolo pass. This summer is going to be bad. I've seen some numeras and capnias out on the river but no skwallas yet, though I heard that they were out a week ago when it was really warm. We could still get some snow so we'll just have to wait to see how bad it is. Don't forget that last year we went into summer with everyone thinking fires and we got all that rain and only had a few very small fires so it might not be so bad.

Benjo -- Let's hope for those spring showers. I pretty much follow climate predictions all year long and one difference from last year was they were predicting some moisture for last spring. This year they are still showing normal or below normal precip.
    [url=http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/index.html:24a71]http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/index.html[/url:24a71]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

nighthawk Guest

Here in Pennsylvania we've had too much rain/snow the last two years. We came out from under a 3-5 year drought in a hurry. Droughts are tough and the one you folks are going through is a 10 year drought I think. I pray for precip for you. Wish I could ship you some of ours.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Having watched a fire start in the Beartooths summer before last, I appreciate your situation. In Ky, we have just had the second wettest year ever and are currently working on a wetter year yet. We have been having some form of precipitation 50% of the time.

Yeah, it is a sad sight all throughout Montana and North Dakota. The Missouri watershed is really hurting, and it doesn't help matters in the world of fishing on the big reservoirs like Ft. Peck, Sakakawea and Oahe when the Corps of Engineers is flushing all the water down south to serve a floundering eco-disaster of a barge industry in Missouri and points south.

They fear that natural walleye reproduction on Sakakawea will cease this year when the water falls to new record lows...and to think in 1991 the lake was at an all time high!

Hi Group,

SW Idaho is in tough shape as well. Gretchen and I fished the SF of the Boise this weekend and one of our group saw a salmonfly. They don't usually show up until much later in the year. It's been aweful dry and much warmer than normal. Pray for rain/snow. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:c7aef]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:c7aef]

The southern rockies are doing very, very well this year. Check out the snotel data at:

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/west.txt

Low to mid-50's predicted for Billings this week.... <sigh>

+ Reply to Thread