Thread: How 2 repair my favorite rod?

Threaded View

Default How 2 repair my favorite rod?

I don't know how I broke my rod. I was on the floor on the carpet with my 3 piece rod....rigging the line through the guides while the rod was still in three pieces lying on the floor. You see I do this because first of all it is an 11' rod and I have a ceiling fan.....

But secondly it fits nicely in a cheap gun case from Wal Mart. I can lay the three sections in it all rigged up with a fly. When I get to the water all I have to do is open it up, place the sections together and pick the fly out, that is stuck in the foam and I am ready to go. Line is loose in the case so no kinks from being stretched tight.

Anyway back to the main problem. Somehow the tip section got broken. Is is now a four piece rod that won't work.

Broke it 11.5 inches down from the tip top. Broken part of the tip section is plenty clear of the guide above it...3-4 inches. The other half of the broken tip section....the break is about 1" from a guide...and I notice it it splitting at the break point.

Can I slide something inside the bottom broken piece at the break....with glue...and have an inch of the piece still sticking out...and slide the tip section over it and match them up. Then wrap with thread and epoxy it?

Or slide a splint over the outside and glue it up with no piece put in the inside hollow part?

Or boaf?

I don't know how to do it an have the least effect on the tip section of the rods normal performance.

It is a Cabelas rod discontinued. I know that for a fact. But it only says on the rod.....
    Float Tuber 11' 6wt Made in Korea

So far I haven't been able to find someone who wants to part with one. I sure like that rod.

Wonder if I should have it repaired by a professional?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 07-21-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: correct typos