+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Use of Furled Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    The furled leader doesn't drift or pile up as nicely as good limp tippet. And the shorter the tippet the less time you have for the cleanest of drifts. I started using 3' tippet, but quickly switched to 5'.

On the tippet? It's good, newer tippet. But I am using a smaller fishermans loop for my leader/tippet connection, and more than once have had failure at the leading end of the knot. What type loop do you tie?
    Loop where on the leader? Shrob Loop ( http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/h...shorb-loop.pdf ), on the tippet Surgeons Loop( www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsloop/index.php )

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    The furled leader doesn't drift or pile up as nicely as good limp tippet. ...
    I think you need to find some better furled leaders than you are making / using. The thread leaders I make are more supple than any tippet I've run across.

What material are you using, if you are making your own, or what material is used to make the ones you are buying ( or being given ) ??

Also, if you are adding a "floatant" that could be part of the problem. If you are using mono or fluoro leaders or are using floatant on a thread leader, try going with an untreated thread leader. Let the leader sink - it won't sink a properly made dry fly. Some of us believe you get a better drift with a submerged furled leader than a floating one. I think we are a minoirty, but that's just a fact, not a problem.

John
    The fish are always right.

I have been watching this thread. I am not sure what I think. I love the flexibity of the thread leaders but I have gone back to using mono. (I belong to the let the rod do the work and degrease your leaders generation). I tried the thread leaders for a few months but could not shake the feeling they are too visible. It could be all in my mind. I do not use those factory tapered leaders with the .21-.23 butts. I tie my own with a .17 butt which is not nearly as flexible as a thread leader but moving in that direction. My thoughts, subject to change, John

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    In calm conditions over 4' of tippet can be used as the furled leader will carry it. As the winds increase reduce the length of the tippet.

When fishing wet fly's I'll use up to 6' of tippet attached to a flurocarbon furled leader.
    Well said Mr. Hise..You should make a trip to the White sometime sir..you have a place to stay.
    Last edited by catman; 07-25-2009 at 04:12 AM.
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

Default answer to original question

no , it is the presentation

I'm not using thread leaders. They are Blue Sky furled. I love how they cast and drift, and they roll over a tippet perfectly. My only thoguht was they roll over a short tippet "too" perfectly, and straight. My straighter than a mono leader. But that was resolved with a 5' tippet.

Fry Flier....the tippet is what I was referring to. Thanks much. I'm currently using a fishermans loop....maybe I'll try the surgeons loop.

Default Furled Leaders

Yesterday was the first time I had to try my furled leaders(thread).
    I was surprised at the ease in which the leader laid out,even in windy conditions.
    I attached 5'of 5x fluorcarbon and eventually reduced it to 3' because of the wind(15-20mph).
    In any event,I ended up catching three Browns, the biggest 16".

I've also ordered 6 mono leaders on Ebay which should be arriving next week from Ohio.
    I'll let you know how they worked out in a week or so.

Thanks for all your input.

well said. I have also wondered how writers tell you how selective fish can be but do not explain how fish are consistently fooled by that piece of steel hanging below that wonderfully imitative fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck441 View Post
    If I catch a few village idiots, and they put up a heck of a fight, I don't snarl and sneer at their stupidity. I release them gently, and thank them. BTW- George Anderson wrote an article for "Fly Fisherman" a number of years ago about using fluorescent Amnesia for his leader butts. He insisted that the trout didn't seem to care one whit. Perhaps some of us are the "village idiots? Now back to furled leaders.

Chuck
    I have been using a ~12" fluorescent orange Amnesia "hot butt" section on my fly lines for about 12 years now. The fish could care less. I usually put a simple overhand loop (slightly smaller knot than perfection loop) at the end for ease of attaching leaders.

FWIW, on every line I've ever tried with one of those "welded" end loops, the loop has cracked or come "unwelded". I used to be in the habit of just cutting those stupid things off and putting my "hot butt" on. I went ahead gave it a try again with a new sharkskin a couple of weeks ago, and what do you know, the loop came unwelded. At the river, I cut the loop off and added the "hot butt" as usual.

My point is, you're still putting a leader and tippet on that (5' to maybe 11' or more) so unless you bungle your presentation, the fish are unlikely to ever see it. Same goes for most leaders; 2' or more tippet on the end of it and the fish should never really see the leader enough to worry about it.

IMHO, presentation is key, and has always been.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

+ Reply to Thread