Quote Originally Posted by Chuck441 View Post
If I catch a few village idiots, and they put up a heck of a fight, I don't snarl and sneer at their stupidity. I release them gently, and thank them. BTW- George Anderson wrote an article for "Fly Fisherman" a number of years ago about using fluorescent Amnesia for his leader butts. He insisted that the trout didn't seem to care one whit. Perhaps some of us are the "village idiots? Now back to furled leaders.

Chuck
I have been using a ~12" fluorescent orange Amnesia "hot butt" section on my fly lines for about 12 years now. The fish could care less. I usually put a simple overhand loop (slightly smaller knot than perfection loop) at the end for ease of attaching leaders.

FWIW, on every line I've ever tried with one of those "welded" end loops, the loop has cracked or come "unwelded". I used to be in the habit of just cutting those stupid things off and putting my "hot butt" on. I went ahead gave it a try again with a new sharkskin a couple of weeks ago, and what do you know, the loop came unwelded. At the river, I cut the loop off and added the "hot butt" as usual.

My point is, you're still putting a leader and tippet on that (5' to maybe 11' or more) so unless you bungle your presentation, the fish are unlikely to ever see it. Same goes for most leaders; 2' or more tippet on the end of it and the fish should never really see the leader enough to worry about it.

IMHO, presentation is key, and has always been.