+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap 5 wt. reel

Default Redington CD 5/6

Ken, I forgot to mention that I have used and still use some of the Redington CD reels. I just sold a 5/6 to a new fly angler but still have several of the 7/8's a 3/4 and 9/10. These have a lifetime guarantee backed by Redington who are now owned by Sage on Bainbridge Island WA. These reels are killer tough for the money and if you find them on closouts then you'll be quite happy I'm sure. Ed
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Redingtons are quite good, as are reels from BPS. You might also look at Cabelas. They have some in your price point. All are quite decent for the price...but then again, I have never owned an "expensive" reel...
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Default Redington Reels

I have Redington AS, CT , and CD reels in a variety of sizes. They are all excellent and if you find one that meets your needs and price go for it.

I got a Cortland large arbor 5 wt reel at gander mt for $19 . Line, backing and all. It was on sale reg is $29. Still a good deal. Even has a real drag and antireverse.

Blog Entries

Cabela's has their 3 forks reels on sale for $20.

I would go with the Bass Pro Hobbes Creek if you don't mind the weight, or look at the Albrights for just a smudge more. I own and love both the Bugatti and the GP. I like their drags quite a bit. You can get many nice reels for the price point you are looking at.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Has anybody used the Redington SV reels?

I've heard some bad reports on them.

Blog Entries

Not sure on the model, but I took a guy steelhead fishing in CA several years ago, and his Redington reel froze up in the middle of the trip, and he ended up not being able to fish for the last couple hours of the drift. Soured me on that brand name. I suspect, as with many products, that the reels in that price range are all made in the same factory somewhere south and east of here, and the only significant difference is the label on them.

Default Lamson Guru?

Noticed a Lamson Guru with backing and 5wt line posted in the For Sale section by Troutmaster 1975. I have had extremely good luck with items he has sold me in the past (another forum). Worth checking out and finding all the loose change around the house for a quality setup. Best of luck.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    -Henry David Thoreau

+ Reply to Thread