+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switch from beginner to Intermediate rod - why/when did you

Default switch from beginner to Intermediate rod - why/when did you

I know everyone started out as a newbie, but I've been debating whether to get a new rod or not. I have a decent beginner Cortland rod and am fairly satisfied with it. But what I'm wondering was, why did you decide to get a better rod? Was it because there was a "marketing" pressure to get the best rod out there? Was it because of the performance difference? Was it because you had the money to? When did you know it was time to get a new rod?

As you can tell I'm in a bind...wanting to get something different, but debating as to whether it would still be the same...would I always want the best.... "Curses to my jealous, envious, sinful self...Curses!"

I have found two valid reasons for a new rod. One is your first rod is under/over-gunned for a different stream/fish/situation. Many fishers start with a 6wt and find a shorter 4wt is more appropriate on a small stream, for example. The other reason is the angler becomes a better caster - or at least has a better feel for the rod as a tool and finds the old one too stiff/soft/heavy/bouncy and wants to leave that discomfort behind. Sometimes they find a new best rod and realize the shortcomings of the old one, and sometimes they will wonder at the shortcomings and verify their intuition when they find the better rod. We are not always clear-headed however, I did buy one the weight I could use, but because it is beautiful, and I bought one because logic said I needed a 4pc in my quiver. But most of my rods have been to fit a new need or have been an upgrade to a better tool, as I have gained experienced. When I can feel the rod flex too far down the blank I know it is time to get a stiffer/faster one in the same weight (for my style). When you can?t punch a tight loop out against a breeze it is time for a faster rod. I always say you learn more about your first rod when you get your second. Take your current rod and reel to a shop and try it compared to some new ones.

Greg hit the nail on the head with me started with 6 weight 9 footer now have a 7 foot 10 inch 4 weight Sage TXL blank ordered for the smaller waters I sometimes fish.

Dear speechless,

As far as rod upgrading goes a lot depends on your feelings towards gear in general.

Initially I upgraded mostly out of necessity. I wound up giving my first fly rod to my one brother, and having my other brother "permanently borrow" my second fly rod.

I have to warn you though. Some people are just gear junkies. They have a pre-disposition to collect more and better gear over time. It isn't just fly fishing related, it extends to all forms of hobbies be they audio equipment, golf clubs, cameras, automobiles, or fly rods. Other people can be content to get a decent outfit and fish with it for as long as it holds together. There is no right or wrong.

I find myself in the first group. Take a look at the other hobbies and leisure activities you enjoy, and you'll have a pretty good idea where fly rods and fly fishing will fit in for you. If you belong to the first group stay the heck out of fly shops. The folks that own them have this nasty habit of figuring you out and constantly putting new fly rods in your hands to try out until you break down and buy them.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

[This message has been edited by Tim Murphy (edited 26 December 2005).]

I started on a Cortland CL series 5/6 weight (still use it), in 1995. I upgraded to a Gatti FRC 3 weight, after trying LadyFisher's Gatti FRC 3 weight at the 1999 South Dakota Fish-In. Craig Thorp (Chub) can vouch, that all the way back to Minnesota, I was muttering "Gotta Get A Gatti!"

Since then I have added to my collection of fly rods, in different weights, some are a St Croix Legends Ultras (5 and 9 weight), I have a South Bend 7 weight Model 52 split cane, and a 9 weight South Bend Fiberglass.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 26 December 2005).]

Believe me, you don't need any of us to tell you when to get a new rod. The force will come from within. If you are happy with your current rod, use it. If it doesn't ring your bell then look for something else. I had my first rod for three years and I was very happy with it and very proud to own it. It was a 7-weight glass rod of good quality. I eventually went to a 5-weight graphite but I remember having as much fun with that first rod as I have ever had with the multitude of rods I currently own.

Up until a few years ago and my getting aligned with FAOL, all my upgrades except for the first one were necessities. Broken rods. The first was going to fiberglass to replace the old hexigon metal rods. I used my first fiberglass for years and years -- until I left it and the rest of my gear on a porch in Dubuque as I was moving to Denver. Put it on the porch first so I wouldn't forget it then drove off. I upgraded significantly in Denver with another fiberglass rod that lasted for about 12 years. Then another after a BWCA mishap. Finally was introduced to a 7 wt. St. Croix Pro Graphite after a farm pond stupidity. On and on. Then I started building them and I have stuff I never dreamed of owning. Some people 'round here call it a madness. Still have my 6 wt. St. Croix plus those homemade ones. Oh my goodness! JGW

I'll try to make this short and sweet.

Remember, this is just fishing. Unless you're in the unfortunate position of "having" to catch fish to survive, you're doing this for fun. None of us, if we're being honest, ever "needs" a new rod. But wanting one...

Will

I have to admit that after I replaced a true "tomato stake" of a Shakespeare with a Fenwick (both glass) in 1972, I really didn't need to upgrade although I did need a couple of heavier rods for salmon, Lgmouth bass and saltwater. I got lots more than that, tho...Pride of ownership mostly.

I did the opposite...I had to go backwards!

My first rod was a very fast saltwater 8 wt that was on close-out. I knew the sw guys liked fast rods and this one was beautiful! But; I couldn't cast it to save my life because I couldn't feel it!

So, my second rod was a used St. Croix Legend 5 wt., 2 pc. Cheap. I upgraded when I needed a 4 pc. rod for a trip. I still have the 5 wt. Legend and use it to teach.

I fish the salt and most of my rods are now 9 & 10 wt...fast. Wish I had kept that first rod

+ Reply to Thread