+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thunder Thumbs Strikes Again

Hybrid View

Default Thunder Thumbs Strikes Again

I don't know why, but this rod, ( Tiger Eye 6'-3 weight ) has done nothing but give me fits. First the fuzzies in the wraps. Not to mention that I don't think I'll ever build another rod using single foot guides. There's nothing to tape in place while you wrap the other foot. And if that's not enough, I gripped the rod too tightly in the wrong place and snapped 3 1/2" off the tip. So, now I have a 5' 8 1/2"-3 weight that doesn't quite look the way I'd like. Oh well, I'll bet it fishes well. This rod has been through all the bad times so I think there are nothing but good times left. I'll be able to identify this rod anywhere.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Angry

You're not alone. I didn't break the blank, but single foot guides combined with small blank diameter equals insanity!
    Jim

Born to fish - forced to work.

Joe I feel your pain. No I have not done that before but I know how frustrating that must be. Cut the tip square and put on a new tip. Fish the thing like there is no tomarrow. Single foot guides are a pain to wrap I think but that is just me. On that small of a tip even double foot guides can be hard though. Even broken that is a good rod.

Blog Entries

Talking

So much for single foot guides.lol No seriously, the next time (if ever) you plan to install single foots, try this instead of tape. Get some "stretchy string" from the local craft store and tie the guide on with that. It takes up almost no room and it comes in very thin diameters. Sorry to hear about the misfortunes Joe, but look at it this way .......You now have a classic design to root through the brush with .........Ed

Hmmm, I have built 2 weights with single foots no problem. I use masking tape but I use scissors to cut very thin sections to hold the guides in place. It has always worked for me.

I have heard others use the "stretchy string" as well and like it - I just never had the need so haven't tried it.

I like both single foot and snake and believe both work very well. I just like the single foot that holds the line away from the blank (Hopkins & Holloway or Recoil not Pac Bay). My usual preference is the single foot.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Smile Elastic string

I use pieces of surgical tubing and I have no problem. If I need to wrap the same guide again for whatever reason, I just tie the guide back on the blank with elastic string. That elastic string has come in handy on every rod I've built. Of course I've only built about a dozen.

I tried the stretchy string. Didn't work for me. So I too, cut thin strips of tape and used that method. I don't think one way or the other would have mattered. I was just destined to have problems with this rod. Had a car like that once too.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I was just destined to have problems with this rod. Had a car like that once too.
    Now that I can relate to - traded the darned thing in while it was still in the shop!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

With all the discussion of the issues with single foot guides I have one more question. Does anyone have the measurement across the foot of PacBay's model SF guide? Is it wider than some of the lightweight blanks??? If so are builders customizing them to fit?
    Dan

First rod I built was a 9' 3 wt...I assembled it while the garage door was going up, it caught the hinge and I quickly had a 8' 9" 3 wt...it fished just fine.

Fished it hard one season and the following spring it exploded at the ferule while hoisting in a 3" pan fish...that rod was not meant to be for me!

+ Reply to Thread