I'm not tying a humpy; I am currently tying Green Drakes. The difference in these drakes is that the wing silhouette is, based on my experience and talking with a fellow last year, the most important part of this fly to the fish. The hair wing is about 2x or a little more taller than you would normally tie them. This makes the fly sooo easy to see on the water, and the fish just crush it.

I tye them in the "standard" way just like in the link ScottP posted (except I trim all of the butt ends of the hair for this pattern since there is no hump) but it seems like it takes me forever to get it to look right. What I am really looking for is an easier, faster way to do it.

For example, one way I read about was to take a straight needle, clamp it in to your vice, then tie a clump of deer hair together tightly. Whip finish it and slide the gathered clump off of the needle. Trim the butt ends and you have a ready-to-go wing that just needs to be attached to the hook, divided and stood up. Make however many you need ahead of time.

I tried that, but didn't really care for it due to the fact that this process added too much bulk that by the time you had the wing properly finished on the hook, it looked like a big lump behind the wing.

Anyway, tips like that are what I am looking for. Thanks!!!