Hi,

Well, yesterday evening a friend, his son, and I went out to the Don Pool on the West River. He took his camera, but I don't have the photos just now. Anyway, we taught Matt how to cast and he set about trying to get a fish on. Although that never occurred, he was doing a pretty good job at getting some line out with only the occasional tangle or tree trout.

We could see all sorts of fish, a lot were probably large mud suckers, but there were trout rising on occasion. I finally fair hooked and landed a nice 11 inch rainbow using Pritt's Brown Owl (sub. hackle was a partridge feather - so think partridge and orange with peacock herl head). I kept this one for my Dad, who's been hankering for some pan fried trout since we started going out again. I've caught browns, brookies, and now rainbow trout in that river. I didn't realise all 3 were available. Not only that, but while we were fishing on the right bank, a fellow joined us and fished the left bank. Within fifteen minutes a 3 lbs brown trout was being netted. Shortly after that he had a large mud sucker (of about 2 lbs) which put up a good fight. He later hooked into but lost a much larger brown than the one he landed, and he guessed it to be in the 4 to 5 lbs range!

We had been seeing some large trout in the river, and had heard some more big ones were comming up. Nice to see those rumours confirmed.

Anyway, the boo has now fair hooked and landed a fish. I'm quite pleased with that. And, I learned the location of a nice lie in that pool too. Must keep it in mind for the next time we make it out there.

However, I'm now at the end of my vacation time and it's time to go back to work. I'll be moving up to Halifax today, but hope to get down this way on some weekends. Fishing adventures will be far fewer, but they've been really enjoyable. Fun stuff.

- Jeff