+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simplifying Hook Inventories

Hybrid View

Default Simplifying Hook Inventories

The recent posts by tying newbies leads me to ask a question I asked once before. Fly recipes specify certain hooks and, if you follow the recipes, you will end up owning a lot of different hook packages. Do any of you cut down on your hook inventories by buying only a few hooks types and sizes and then substituting them in the official recipes? If so, how?

(FWIW, I currently own at least 40 packages of hooks in different models and sizes and I know this is silly.)

To down size my hook inventory I only buy one style of saltwater hook That I tie clousers on. Also it was hard to tell my wife that I needed saltwater hooks since I live in Kansas. Other than that I would like to see ideas on how to not buy so many sizes and styles.

Blog Entries

I solve that problem by not reading recipes, and just tying flies.

I use a handful of hook styles, in a handful of sizes. I do have my preferences, but since I tie flies to fish, I don't worry too much about the "proper" hook.

I saw these magnetic hook boxes at my local shop and got one.
    Works really good for me. I just pick my hook with my tweezers and clamp it up and tye.
    (Except for the two #28 that shot away. Still haven't found them. )

I'd like to get a few more of them because they are really handy!
    I can turn it upside down and narry a hook moves from the magnetic white bottom of it. (not even the bigger hooks). And the stickers came with it.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Old Frat. I agree that if you follow the recipe you can end up ith a bunch of different hook packages. But I don't think the recipes are written in stone and must be followed exactly. If you try to stick to hooks from one manufacturer rather than several this can cut down on your inventory. For instance Hook & Hackle has a chart that shows what hooks are about the same between manufacturers. I try to stick with Mustad because of the price. In addition you can substitute hooks within the same manufacturer. For instance Mustad made a 3399A, a 3399 and a 3366. When I see a recipe calling for one of those 3 hooks I just use a 3366. So far the fish haven't seemed to mind.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 07-19-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Jo-Ann Fabrics carries a box with 14 individually opening compartments in two sizes for dirt cheap, especially if you watch their sales. Just counted 16 of those with virtually all compartments full. That is just trout fly hooks.

There are several other boxes for saltwater and a couple big boxes with salmon fly hooks... And we still manage to end up with assorted boxes kicking around! There is no end to it and giving up right now is the only thing you can do.

Welcome to the Dark Side!
    art

Normand Guest

inventory schminventory!!

i too have way too many hooks that i'll probably never ever use, but its an addiction. what if i want to tie that pattern and dont have the hook called for.

probably time to do some weeding of weak ones!

I like the 10 compartment hook boxes. One will hold straight shank dry fly hooks from #22 standard to #6-2XL. Another holds a similar range of wet fly hooks. Those 2 boxes probably could tie 90% of all trout flies.

Of course then there's heavy and light wire scud hooks, emerger hooks, Steelhead/Salmon hooks, egg hooks, popper hooks... So I guess it never ends.

Hi Oldfrat,

As was mentioned above, virtually all the flies I tie could be tied on three hook styles. A dry fly hook, and nymph hook, and streamer hook.

My choices would be on the now the discontinued Mustad Classic hooks, the 3906B nymph hook (1X long), the 94840 dry hook (standard length), and the 9672 nymph/streamer hook (3X long.)

Tie stonefly dries and nymphs, and streamers on the 9672.

Tie all other drys on the 94840.

Tie wet flies, all other nymphs, wet flies, eggs, and scuds on the 3906Bs.

If you tie a lot of bass flies, you may want a bass hook, if you fish the salt, you may want a salt water hook, etc.

Do you give up a little by going that route? Yes a little, for example the classic streamers like a Mickey Finn, etc., will not have quite the classy look of one tied on a 3665. Also a bead head nymph will be just a bit shorter than a bead head nymph tied on a 9671 (2X long.)

Will it make any practical difference. Not one whit. The fish could care less. There are some differences between brand name nymph hook "X" vs brand name nymph hook "Y." However from practical tying/fishing difference there really is no practical difference.

If the fly pattern calls for brand name nymph hook "X", tie it on what ever nymph hook you use, etc. The brand you use makes no practical difference. Just be consistent.

There are reasons that some patterns in fly pattern books, etc., often specify a specific hook. For one, some tiers prefer a specific brand of hooks. Some pattern books are written by folks who retail a specific brand of hook, and often all the patterns in their book specify the same brand of hook they sell.

However, if you are tying flies for you, it really makes no difference what the pattern specifies. If it calls for a standard dry fly hook, use the brand you keep, no matter what brand (and model) the writer of the pattern book specifies.

I listed the classic Mustads because I am familier with them, not for any other reason.

Regards,

Gandolf

I agree with what Gandolf said and have pretty much done the same thing. I've settled on Mustad as my "hook of choice" and pretty much do the same thing he mentions. One comment - if you DO decide to go with Mustad you may want to make sure you're buying their new signature series hooks. While you can still find many of the classic Mustad hooks they are discontinued and are being replaced with the Signature series. You can go to http://www.mustad.no/signature/2009_..._Upd013009.xls for info and a cross-reference chart.

Depending on your preferences/needs you might want to consider adding a curved hook to the list for things like caddis pupa imitations. Mustad's version would be the C49S. However if you don't tie a lot on curved hooks you can always take one of the above mentioned hooks and bend them with a pair of pliers.
    Last edited by skondolf; 07-23-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

+ Reply to Thread