Thread: Matuka for Summertime Bug Swap III

Threaded View

Default Matuka for Summertime Bug Swap III

Hi folks. It's 113 degrees outside my house. I'm working on a batch of flies for Deserttrout's Cross Forum Swap. It's the "Summertime Bug Swap III." 36 people are tying. Here's the fly:

Materials:
    Hook: Mustad R74-9672 2XH/4XL size 8
    Body: Olive medium chenille.
    Throat: Red medium chenille
    Thread: Flat red waxed, or black or olive. I'm using Danville 210 denier.
    Rib: SM Gold wire.
    Wing: 4 Olive dyed barred neck hackle, 2 red dyed barred neck hackle.
    Collar: Olive dyed neck hackle.

Start the thread about a 1/4" from eye. Spin it to the bend and ty in the ribbing. I bend about 1/8" of the wire and wrap the thread back over it to secure it from pulling out.

Tie in olive chenille and move thread back to starting point. Take about 8 wraps with the chenille and secure it, snip it off and tie in the red chenille.

Make 2 or 3 wraps with the red and tie it off. Leave about 1/8 to 3/16 inch behind the eye to tie in the collar.

Match 2 red feathers, trim the bottoms with sissors leaving about 1/2" to 1 " full on the end. Tie in at the head.

Match 2 pairs of olive feathers and trim them like the red. Tie them on the back side and then the front side.

Use hackle pliers on end of wire. Seperate the back of the wing and pull rib around opposite of the direction of the chenille. Pull tight with each wrap and seperate back each time. Tie off wire at head.

Tie in collar feather and make about 4 wraps. Tie off, whip finish and head cement.

These flies take a little time to make. I tied up all the bodies first and am now adding the wings and collars. At 2 or 3 a day, I should have them ready by the middle of August.
    I like to fish these in the Sierra lakes from my pontoon. I use a sinking tip line and strip at about a foot at a time let it drop and strip another foot. Pretty productive fly in the summer. Jim
    Last edited by jimsnarocks; 07-21-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim