+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't get lost in Maine!

Hybrid View

Probably New Hampshire too .

Let's see,

A service that is in place and funded by your tax dollars, but don't use it?
    Hmmm?
    Steve

Though Maine has a similar law on the books, the kid was on Mount Wasington, in New Hampshire.

He had to be rescued because of negligence on his part. Sounds reasonable to ask him to repay the State.

In Europe, at least when I was there, if you had to be rescued, you paid for it. That's why most mountaineering folks had rescue insurance obtained from the local mountaineering union or guild.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

This sort of thing is a big problem in New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest, an area that gets more tourists annually than Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks, combined.
    Unprepared, inexperienced hikers who head off into the mountains only to find that they're in over their heads puts a strain on state F&G, the forest service, and SAR volunteers.
    Hikers that use their heads and are prepared with proper gear, clothing and extra water and still find themselves in need of legitimate rescue are never charged.
    It's only the negligent that are.
    This is a fairly new policy and it's widely supported by the hiking community
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Smile

Mt Washington is the mountain to climb in the east. In my younger years it was my big challenge. As the report said follow the trails and you wont have a problem. You dont do it in the winter--it is the coldest and highest wind in the country. Never did use the train. Bill

First if he hadn't been an Eagle Scout you probably wouldn't even hear about it. Second YES NH and VT charge for rescues where the person is liable. Local news is always talking about someone lost up in the woods.

He deserves the charge.

Fatman

I live in the same town as this kid and I've heard all the stories.

He was an experienced hiker and had hiked that area many times before. The Fox news article and Mr. Acerno made it sound like Scott went out wearing sneakers and a fanny pack, totally unprepared like most of the yahoo's that get lost up there. He was well prepared with snowshoes, poles, etc.

The unseasonably warm weather in April caused streams normally passable that time of year to swell with runoff later in the day. For more of his side of the story read this article http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...een_found.html

You've got to know when to turn around. Hurt and alone are compelling reasons to do just that. Young guys, at times, can think the rules of nature and fate do not apply to them. Trails are where they are for a reason, they're generally cut through the more passable terrain. Experienced or not, he twisted his ankle, decided to carry on OFF TRAIL and further isolated himself. He should have known better.

+ Reply to Thread