Hi,

Dad and I took a trip out to Maple Lake. Years ago dad used to have to walk 3 miles through the woods to get to it, now there are logging and fire roads that go into it.

Anyway, we found an easy access point and walked over the mossy bog to the lake. There were a lot of piture plants growing in the moss, to the point it was hard to avoid them.

Seeing them like this reminded me of being in Newfoundland, where the piture plant is the provintial flower. It also indicates there are a lot of bugs (mosquitos and deer flies primarily) that consider repellant just a suggestion.

When we took up our positions, there was the occasional fish rising and jumping. Dad was set up with a small spider on the dropper and a Tiger Ross at the point. I set up a Baille's black spider on the dropper and a squirrel tail streamer of mine. We cast about for awhile, and as neither of us had any strikes, I decided to take off the streamer and tie on a black ribbed orange and grizzle spider on the point. Just as I snipped off the fly, Dad calls out that he has one.

So despite having to hold onto two flies, a cut tippet, and pull out the camera, I succeeded in getting this shot, which even includes the 6" brook trout! It took the streamer, which is probably about 2", or 1/3 of the fish's length. Greedy guts for sure. This was good as it was Dad's first fish to hand on our outings. He's had a number of strikes but just no luck in getting the hook set.

I tied on the new spider and we both got back to casting about. Dad went back to eat his lunch in the truck while I continued to cast. I was using the new boo and have not yet had a fish to hand. Patience pays off though, and finally I had a strike and a hook up! A small Maple Lake brookie in the 6" range came in for a quick photo and release.

Those with time to examine the photo may notice the shame. Yes, the fish was foul hooked and the fly is situated at the wrong end! Sigh. So, a fish to hand, but not a fair fish. After that, the lake went quiet.

We drove around the logging road looking for another point where we could access the lake. We found a trail that appeared to be used by ATVs, and that did lead to the lake on the far side. We fished there for a bit, and though we saw a few rise, there was no action on the rods. Despite that, it was a good day. This isn't really the best time of year for fishing this lake, which is more productive in May and June. Now, the water is a bit warmer and one really needs a boat or float tubes to fish it properly. I suspect midgeing in the deeper sections would really pay off though.

Anyway, on our return home trip I wanted to stop for a quick try of a section of the East River, just under the bridge at Springville. There's a great looking stretch of water, with a nice hole and run. However, my quick fish through the hole didn't produce anything. But, I'm sure it would be worth prospecting closer to dusk (although, if the bats at the Don Pool are anything to go by this would be an absoluate nightmare!) Dad took some photos from the bridge, and this one gives a good view of the lower end of the pool. On the upper side it's much faster riffles, and further down river there's another set of riffles and another pool. Like I said, there's lots of good holding water here.

- Jeff