+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customizing An Aluminum Jon Boat...

Benjo -
    Why not post updates on how modifying the boat goes as you get it done?? I think that would be of interest to everyone.

Jambalaya -
    I have a "casting apron" on my pram as well but I do not use it for casting [unless the wind blows the line back]. I bunjed [sp?] a piece of decrative netting [bought it at hobby lobby] over the electric motor head, battery, and wires, etc. This keeps my line out of the mess. As the pram is "plastic" the floor area, seats, and etc. are very smooth and no problem.

Donald

2. Default

Thanks for the info Jo. I have quite a bit of boatbuilding epoxy in the garage, so I was gonna use it. Do you think this will perform as well as the glovit? I was planning on "painting" epoxy over every rivet and seam on the outside hull and letting her dry. I've done quite a bit of work with epoxy so I'm sure I'll get decent finishes. This is what I was gonna do inside the hull until I read your post. Doing it outside will be infinately easier.

Donald, my stripping apron is simple... just some material with sleeves sewn on all four edges.. then I run a suitable bungee through each sleeve and I have 8 anchor points... I anchor it so the bungees keep the apron material stretched nicely. Really holds well in my boat. I built it so I'm gonna use it, but I really don't think it's any better than the shallow rubbermaid container I was using as a stripping basket before I made the apron. The rubbermaid is a lot easier to reposition too.

Later guys,
    Jambalaya

Blog Entries

I personally like to dampen the sound I transmit to the fish . I don't know the name of the stuff but they sell a spongy rubber mat for skiers and hikers to sit on and for you to put under your sleeping bag to soften the ground when you are tenting . It is about 3/8 inches thick and about 30 inches wide by about 5 or 6 ftlong . I stuck this stuff down in front of the seats in my boat to deaden the sound . It doesn't interfere with my loose lines and helps to keep dropped flys , etc from rolling around the bottom of the boat . It keeps the floor of the boat from being slippery . It doesn't take on water and stay damp like outdoor carpet would .Trout don't like people stomping around in their attic and causing loud noises .Good luck with the boat .
    Ps. I have also seen this stuff in camo in a Military surplus store.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Benjo,
    I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well. I am familiar with Glovit, so that's the product that came to mind. I would reinterate that when you use your epoxy, that you have the boat positioned so that it puddles where you want it to be. Even if it takes longer to do the job, it's better than sanding the drip marks smooth.
    Take pictures and post them if you can. It would be neat to watch the process.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

[This message has been edited by LotechJoe (edited 28 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread