+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customizing An Aluminum Jon Boat...

Default Customizing An Aluminum Jon Boat...

So I've been eyeing my roommates 12.5 foot aluminum boat all winter. Today he sold it to me. I want to make it more fishing friendly first by building a casting deck up front. Has anyone tried this? What other modifications have you made to you little boat to make it more fishing friendly? I'm definately going to paint it camo for duck hunting and I'd like to do some other things to make it more comfortable. It's rivited, which is a downfall but I got it for next to nothing and I already have a motor so this is a low budget thing.

Hey Benjo,

Here are links that might help you in
    your quest. [url=http://www.myjonboat.com/bassfishingusahome.html:e4cd9]http://www.myjonboat.com/bassfishingusahome.html[/url:e4cd9] [url=http://www.texashomeschoolers.com/mike.htm:e4cd9]http://www.texashomeschoolers.com/mike.htm[/url:e4cd9]
    Warm regards, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 24 February 2005).]

Benjo, go over to rodnreel.com, and search the forums. Ask this question over there. Tons of guys here in south louisiana have jon boats b/c of all the shallow marsh. They will give you more ideas than you can handle.

Definitely rod holders, and a sea anchor (drogue) (nylon parachute thing) to slow your drifting. A tie down for a cooler or whatever. have a blast
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Benjo,

You will receive many ideas from this post. I just want to throw one at you. You stated that it was rivited which you considered a downfall. Might I suggest that you take it to your nearest dealer that handles the spray in truck bed liners and ask them to spray you a liner on the inside of the boat. I would have them cover all of the bottom and sides. This will just about take care of any lose rivits that may spring a leak plus it will give you more traction on the inside plus easy to keep clean. Just hose it out. I think they can spray it on in layers to build it up in thickness. I would only do this on the inside. If you spray the bottom on the outside it would give the boat too much drag in the water. Just a suggestion.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Benjo---I dont want to dampen your enthusiasm but---I consider 12.5 feet too small and narrow of a boat to be adding a casting deck. You should first try it in the water and I think you will see that it is better to have your two feet on the floor. Have you ever fly fished sitting down--you could add a swivel seat to the front.

I added a wooden floor to my 12 footer a swivel post seat between the 1st--2nd seat and electric motor in front.
    As far as a rivited boat mine was bought in 1955 and it has never leaked.
    ------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by William Fitzgerald (edited 24 February 2005).]

I'm new to FAOL but I can tell what works for me. I have a Canadian mfgr'd. boat that they called a pram - it's actually a plastic Jonboat.

First, I don't like casting platforms for 3 reasons [I've had several Jons that had 'em.] 1.] On a 12' boat they are unstable; too much weight way above the gunwales. 2.] With a flyrod you're standing up 'for God and everybody, so to speak, waving a great stick around; I think you scare a lot of fish. 3.] You'll catch a LOT of wind causing drifting problems.

That said - here's how mine is set up. I have two swivel seats mounted on the boat seats. They're comfy. Anchors at both ends for when the wind really blows. The from line runs back thru an eye-bolt to the rear seat so I can operate both from there. I have a sea-anchor for slowing the drift. I have Scotty anchor bases on both gunwales and a Scotty flyrod holder that I can easly switch side to side. I have a set of oars - serves two purposes. First, for when the motor doesn't go; secondly, for "mooching" a fly. This is very effective along a weedline. That is the reason I want to be able to change rod holders side to side. Just cast [or feed the fly] back 40-50' and move forward with the oars. The rowing motion imparts a move-pause-move-pause action to your fly.

This set-up evolved thru about four Jons over the last 15 years, or so.

Hope something will be useful.

Donald

Benjo,
    Way to go. Sounds like just the right rig for many needs. As far as it being riveted only, you can change that with an easy fix. Go to your best marine supply house and get a can of Glovit. It is a two part epoxy, that when mixed right takes about 24 hours to completely set up. Turn you boat upside down on a couple of saw horses in a well ventilated area. Like a garage or even outside if it's safe. Combine the mixture as prescribed in the directions and apply to the seams with a tongue depressor or popsicle stick. I suppose even a putty knife would work well. It mixes up to the consistancy of spun honey, and cures to a smooth as glass finish. Let it cure for at least a day, but check often for drips, and clean them up as necessary. Once the mix has cured, not only will it NEVER leak where applied, but you can paint it as well. I've used it twice on aluminum boats, and never been dissatisfied. Be ready to spend $20+, but it WILL work. Good luck, and have fun. Have you check out the military's new digi-camo? They say it will dissappear wherever it's used. We'll see. No pun intended.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

[This message has been edited by LotechJoe (edited 24 February 2005).]

[This message has been edited by LotechJoe (edited 24 February 2005).]

9. Default

I have a 12ft v-hull that I fish with sometimes. I prefer my pontoon with an electric motor, but I use the boat quite a bit when I bring others along.

I wouldn't put a casting deck in a boat this size... maybe a flat wooden floor floor with a seat mounted.

I have temporary seats that I mount at the small bow seat and at the back of the boat and I can cast just fine from these w/out too much trouble. Standings harder, but still do-able.

The biggest single improvement I made was a custom stripping apron for the boat. Cheap and easy, just a couple of bungees and your material of choice stretched between the area you generally flyfish at(inside the boat). I too have rod holders mounted on each side. I use two anchors as well, though I use a drift sock alot, too.

Just a quick thanks to LoTech Jo. I have a very slight, yet nagging leak in my boat... probably from a rivet or seam (it's old). It only shows up when I have enough weight in the back... ie.. it doesn't leak a bit with the electric motor and me, but once I put on the 5hp it starts. Since the previous owner had taken the time to carpet the boat, I wasn't relishing peeling it back and cleaning it to epopxy the leak area. I'd rather just use Jo's idea and apply the epoxy to the outside. With a 5hp I'm not setting any speed records, so any micro drag I might add will be of minimal impact.

Later all...

Jambalaya

Jambalaya,
    I'm assuming that your leak is in the stern. If that is the case, you might want to lean you boat against a fence or a tree, and use a ladder to apply the Glovit. The trick is to let it puddle over the hole or leaking seam. I will set up to such a smooth finish that there will be virtually no drag created. Good luck.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread