Went to a very small creek today to catch a meal of brook trout. This creek is really small, average width maybe 2 feet and in some spots less than a foot and the widest maybe 4 ft.
I fish this creek once a year & catch & keep enough fish for a meal. I have been doing this for about 20 years and it don't seem to hurt the trout population. I have never seen another fisherman on this little creek.

Anyway upon arriving at my fishing spot, a half mile or so from the road I was greeted with a new sight. A family of beavers had migrated into my little creek and were busy doing what beavers do. While it is not unusual to see beavers in creeks in most western states what stuck me as out of the ordinary was the action of one of the beavers. I spotted the beaver swimming down this little creek when it was maybe 40 yards upstream from me. I was standing right on the edge of the creek. I decided to stand real still and see what the beaver would do. I fully expected it to get to maybe 10 or 15 yards from me, slap its tail and to an about face and leave. Well not so this guy. It swam right up to me, stopped and looked at me for maybe 10 or 15 seconds and then slowly swam on down the creek.
By swimming right up to me I mean the beaver was about 4 feet from me. I have seen many beavers in the wild but never one that acted this way.

I find instances like this more rewarding than the actual fishing. Nature is fantastic.

Tim