+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw a Beaver

Hybrid View

Default Saw a Beaver

Went to a very small creek today to catch a meal of brook trout. This creek is really small, average width maybe 2 feet and in some spots less than a foot and the widest maybe 4 ft.
    I fish this creek once a year & catch & keep enough fish for a meal. I have been doing this for about 20 years and it don't seem to hurt the trout population. I have never seen another fisherman on this little creek.

Anyway upon arriving at my fishing spot, a half mile or so from the road I was greeted with a new sight. A family of beavers had migrated into my little creek and were busy doing what beavers do. While it is not unusual to see beavers in creeks in most western states what stuck me as out of the ordinary was the action of one of the beavers. I spotted the beaver swimming down this little creek when it was maybe 40 yards upstream from me. I was standing right on the edge of the creek. I decided to stand real still and see what the beaver would do. I fully expected it to get to maybe 10 or 15 yards from me, slap its tail and to an about face and leave. Well not so this guy. It swam right up to me, stopped and looked at me for maybe 10 or 15 seconds and then slowly swam on down the creek.
    By swimming right up to me I mean the beaver was about 4 feet from me. I have seen many beavers in the wild but never one that acted this way.

I find instances like this more rewarding than the actual fishing. Nature is fantastic.

Tim

Very , very neat!!!!!

There's more to fishing than fishing. Great mental images you've given us. Thanks for sharing.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Tim -

Reminds me of a young beaver that made it's way quite close to where I was fishing a couple times on an off-shoot of the South Fork of the Snake a couple years ago. That little critter wasn't even bothered by the normal movements of fly fishing. He didn't approach near as closely as your little guy did, but it was interesting how unafraid he was as he went about what seemed to be his normal routine.

One of the reasons I avoid crowded fishing places is the usual lack of wildlife in such places. As Joe said "There's more to fishing than fishing." If it ever gets to be just about fishing, I think I'll try to redeem myself by giving away all my gear !!

John

P.S. About a month ago, these three little guys all passed within a matter of several feet from me as I stood, like you, very quietly as they approached and then went upon their way.

The fish are always right.

Many years ago I was night trout fishing in a large pool. It was pitch black and quiet and I was standing in hip high water. Out of no where the water two feet from exploded! It scared me to the point I was trying to run out of the pool. When I got to the shallow rapids at the top of the pool my fishing buddy was laughing his XXX off. Confused, I said "What the xxx was that?" His response was "I see you and that old rogue beaver had an up close experience." He went on to say the beaver never saw me until it right next to me and then slapped its tail when I startled it. That beaver continued to do that to me the rest of the summer. The pool was in a state park and I mentioned it to the park ranger who told me they would take care of the problem after the camping season. Later the ranger told me they shot the beaver and that it weighed 45 pounds. He explained that older beaver don't breed and then just get huge. I'll never forget that first night we met though.

Smile

Once a creek soon a pond--your beaver is looking for a mate and a section of the creek to build a dam. We have to use a backhoe each year to lower the dam on a small trout pond. It is a thrill to have one swim up to your boat or canoe after dark and slap his tail. BILL

our rivers have become loaded with them. a few years ago they were a rare sight, not anymore. every stream I fish has them. the dog loves them, he spends hours swiming after them.

its the otters I really like. theyre far more shy though.

Default Since you brought up otters..

The first time I ever used a float tube...when I finally got out on the pond/lake...a short time after I started casting 4 otters appeared and circled and circled me...chattering and chattering...I think they were more curious than anything about what I was...not at all aggressive...

Finally they left and guess what I couldn't catch a fish...

It was worth it....wish I'd had a camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    our rivers have become loaded with them. a few years ago they were a rare sight, not anymore. every stream I fish has them. the dog loves them, he spends hours swiming after them.

its the otters I really like. theyre far more shy though.

I agree, otters are appealing creatures; however, they are trout-devouring
    buggers and I'd just as soon not see them on my streams.

Eyeing a beaver has always been pretty exciting though!

bobbyg
    Last edited by bobbyg; 07-17-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I've had beaver jump off the river bank into the water after dark, while I was wading/fishing... Scared the heck outta me! It was too dark to see, and I had visions in my mind of it being a big croc or something (even though I knew better). Also had one swim out to the middle of a large reservoir where I was fishing in my boat, and it made a complete circle around my boat, then went on its way.

A few nights ago, I was fishing from shore, and stayed much too long. Had my prescription sunglasses on, and it was completely dark as I was walking back to my car. Thought I saw some odd shadows about 30 feet away from me, so tilted up my sunglasses, and a pair of whitetail deer were just standing there watching me. They had to have watched me walk towards them for 100 yards in the open, and they were downwind of me too. How bizarre?

Another time while wading the river in the evening, I had 3 wild turkeys, one at a time, fly through the opening in the trees to my right, fly about 7' above my head, and then landed in a big oak tree on the far side of the river to roost for the night. Magical moments.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread