+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Foot Guides

Question Single Foot Guides

( Not wanting to hijack glousterman's thread, I thought I would start a new one. )

Just wondering - has anyone ever actually calculated the weight savings achieved by using single foot snake guides rather than standard snake guides and determined how that weight savings affects rod performance ??

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

I do not know the answer to your question, but, a good rod building friend of mine and I were discussing rod building one day. We were talking about one fly rod I have that was rated as med/fast which I think leaned more toward medium and I said that maybe if we put double footed guides on it that might stiffen it up a bit and he told me that if you put double footed guides on it, it would make it slower which I found interesting.

With your permission, I will follow this thread and see what the experts here have to say about the weight difference between single and double footed guides. It should be interesting. Good question, by the way....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Normand Guest

i have not calculated them or actually weighed them but i was looking at my st croix rod that has single foot guides and if you were to rebend them into a snake guide it looks like they would weigh the same.

i dont believe there is any weight savings or if there is, it is negligible

vs

Last edited by Normand; 07-15-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool

John....... I have to agree with Norm on this one......Ed

Default Negligible

I've built about 15 rods, and of course, fished many more. I don't think you can even tell the difference as far as weight. I'm sure if you used huge surf guides on a 3 wt. you might sense something.

I agree with everyone here. I don't think the weight difference really makes a difference. Now that being said as most rod builders know the more thread or items you put on a rod after a certain point then takes away from the action. Is that negotiable I think not, depending on what you are wrapping with and how much more you are putting on a rod. I firmly believe, and this is jut my opinion, that if you match the guides, handle, and reel seat to the rod and you spine the rod correctly, you will get the best preformance out of a rod. I know there are others who do not spine the rod and that is all good. that is just my personnal prefference.

Blog Entries

The only weight savings would be the amount of one wrap and finish on each snake guide. What that amounts to will be determined by how you wrap, and how much finish you apply.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

Talking Weight means all the difference!!!!

PS........The only appreciable weight I want to feel on a rod, is the big fish on the end of it.

Just wanted to keep it lite folks.......lol.........Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    ....Just wanted to keep it lite folks....Ed
    Ed -

It was intended to be lite !!

As a follow up question ( uh oh ?? ), who can honestly say that they personally have been able to tell the difference in rod action and casting distance and casting accuracy and other fish catching qualities ( given exactly the same blanks, exactly the same grips, exactly the same reel seats using the same lines, leaders, and flies ) BETWEEN two rods where the ONLY difference is the use of single foot snake guides and standard snake guides of the same size and manufacture ???

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Talking

Not I john..... and when I said lite .it was just a play on words as in the weight.lol

Anyway I think we are approching the purple rod syndrome again.....lol.... Ed

+ Reply to Thread