+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budget 12 wt.

Default Budget 12 wt.

Is there such a thing? Or at least one that would be serviceable? I'll be taking an albacore trip later this summer but don't have any gear. I'm also on a serious budget. I already picked up a solid reel.

Thanks!!
    Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Check out these guys - you've probably seen them discussed on Westfly (or here):

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...-fly-rods.html

Not sure if they're a sponsor here so I apologize beforehand for posting this link if they're not.

I have a couple reels and a pair of A-5 rods from Albright and am really please. Lookes like their 9' 12wt XX rod in 4-pc runs around $170 and gets you a free yellowstone rod and tackle bag.

HTH

Marty

Default Mods, please move to appropriate forum...

I accidentally placed this here...

thanks for the advice on the Albright. my only concern is that i've heard a few reviews of having problems with the ferrules breaking (not just online, but from several guides)...

Has anyone had any experience with the Ross Essence rods?
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

This is one time where I really would recommend the big auction site. Big, blue water fly rods are a bit of a niche item. And it seems to me that a lot of 10wts and up that get sold are bought by guys who use them for one, spectacular trip, then never get back to it. Many of these end up for sale and most don't see a lot of bidding.

There's a guy (sounds like he ended up with some old stock store inventory) who's got a couple of RPLXi 12 wts and a T&T 12wt ending today. I also saw a Legend Ultra ending in a couple of days for $100 and no bids.

Default I'm with NB Ken

I agree with NB Ken, I wanted a 12 wt for a tuna trip and found one for a song on an unnamed auction site. For the price I paid I got a hell of a deal and although my tuna trip did not materialize, I'll keep it for the one that does. Best of luck.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    -Henry David Thoreau

A 12 WT is a lot of rod for an Albie. A 10 WT is ideal and you probably could do just fine with a 9 Wt. That 12 WT would be the ideal rod for some good size Tarps and is really tiring to cast.

Good hunting for the Albies.
    Max

He is talking true albacore tuna, not the little tunny or false albacore of the east coast. I would not want to tangle with a 30 or 40lb albacore with a 9 or 10 wt., much less a 50 or 60lb speciman and 9 and 10wt rods just don't have the backbone to lift an albie that has sounded a couple hundred feet down. A 12wt is normally considered the minimal for albies and many anglers use 13 or 14wt rods. Weight of the rod is not a consideration since you usually do not make many casts during a day of albacore fishing.

+ Reply to Thread