+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guides on Tiger Eye

Default Guides on Tiger Eye

I have been considering building up a 6'6" 2/3 wt Tiger Eye blank for a b-day gift. I would like to know if stripper guides should be used or not and the pros and cons to using either single foot guides or snake guides on such a small lighweight blank?
    Thanks,
    Dan

Yes use a stripper guide. A size 10 should do ya quite nicely. As far as single foot guides go I hate them. That being said they make for less wrapping and keep the total rod weight down. To me they just don't look right but then that is me. If done properly they work just as good as a regular snake guide. It is all in what you like. Envision the rod in your mind and what it will look like and then start your build. If you think single foot guides are the way to go then go for it.

Blog Entries

Yep, what he said. Except--I like single foot ceramic guides. I don't think there is any real difference in performance between the 2 styles, and started using ceramics because they shoot line more quietly. If that isn't a matter of personal preference, I don't know what is.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I use single foot wire guides on all my fly rods. They would be particularly suited to a short, light weight rod due to the weight savings, the lower effect on rod action and the cleaner look (single wraps per guide as opposed to double wraps with snake guides). I would use a 10 stripping guide. I agree that ceramic guides may shoot line better, but that is not usually an issue on a 6'6" 2/3 weight.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Blog Entries

I'm not convinced that they shoot line that much better. I just think that they are quieter and like them for that reason.
    The numbers I was given by one of the "experts" on improved shooting was less than a foot improvement. That is insignificant in my opinion, but I seldom fish where I have to shoot for every inch I can get. I fish as close as I can. It makes me a better fisherman.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Well, These posts about sum it up. Some like single foot - some don't. Some prefer wire single foot - others prefer the ceramic single foot.

My personal preference is the wire single foot and my opinion says the wire single foot DO shoot a greater distance IF a caster knows how to do it properly. Also in my opinion it makes a big difference if you use a "Training" guide.

Note I clearly stated "my Opinion" others will vary - testing and coming to one's own preferences and conclusions is what makes rod-building fun.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

A BIG THANK YOU for all the opinions here. I just received some of the dark orange Pac Bay nylon thread which is really sweet looking against the Tiger Eye blank! I'll have to mull over all the suggestions as to whether to use single foot or snake. Casting distances is not likely to be an issue as my daughter lives in Asheville NC with her BF so lots of small streams with overhanging trees seems to be the big thing for them. Thanks again for the suggestions!!!
    Dan

I'm in the middle of a 6' (a little shorter than yours) 2/3 weight Tiger Eye. I'm using single foot guides and a stripper. I'm also using Gudebrod's thread in a candy apple red without color preserver. The wraps turn quite dark and are a very subtle compliment to the blank color. I'm building it for brook trout in the small creeks of N/E Washington.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I'm in the middle of a 6' (a little shorter than yours) 2/3 weight Tiger Eye. I'm using single foot guides and a stripper. I'm also using Gudebrod's thread in a candy apple red without color preserver. The wraps turn quite dark and are a very subtle compliment to the blank color. I'm building it for brook trout in the small creeks of N/E Washington.
    I'm pretty sure I'll never use single foot guides again. Turned out to be too much of a chore.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll never use single foot guides again. Turned out to be too much of a chore.

Just curious, what did you find to be too much of a chore? I've always used single foot and find them easier to wrap and to adjust. The only "difficult" part I have found is attaching them before you start the wrap. I solved that by taping them on with a thin strip of masking tape.

Nevermind. I just read your other post. Looks like you had a real tussle with it.
    Last edited by dunfly; 07-21-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread