+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you attach a dropper ?

Hybrid View

Default How do you attach a dropper ?

How do you attach your dropper ? Do you tie your tippet to the bend of the hook on your top fly ? Is there a better way ? Any instuctions would be much appricated

Fiddled with all of the rest and end up just tying to the bend. I catch a lot of fish, so it seems to work for me. Just a simple clinch knot like you used for the flies. I usually don't drop farther than 18" for nymphs although I'll drop as much as 30" if using a dry fly with a dry dropper. I do get technical with the dropper fly and how I attach it to the dropper tippet. I use a Duncan loop for most applications especially when the dropper is smaller than size #16.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

good info on that westfly link. i like to tie my droppers to the hook eye of the first fly. improved clinch and about 18"-24" of tippet and you're good to go. i tie to the bend of the fly as well, but for some reason this tangles more for me than going through the eye.

sagellbean -

I tie the tippet for the trailing fly to the bend of the leading fly hook. Use a clinch knot. This works well for everything from tandems of big weighted stoneflies under an indicator to trailing a second dry fly behind another one.

Spacing kind of depends on the situation. Probably up to a couple feet with a tandem of dries. Down to maybe 6" when trailing an emerger below a dry. In some situations some separation seems to work best ( and is necessary when fishing a nymph deep under a dry ) but in others you want the fishy to see the trailing fly if it passes on the lead fly.

Tried tying the tippet for the trailing fly to eye of the hook a few times and didn't care for that set up. Also, fishing smaller flies, it can be kind of difficult to get two pieces of tippet through the eye, especially if you crowd the eye of the hook while tying flies !! I've read about a bunch of other methods used by folks fishing several wets, but haven't fished that kind of rig so don't have any impressions on those methods.

John
    The fish are always right.

Normand Guest

check out some of the dropper fly rigging images here

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...wi&safe=active

+ Reply to Thread