+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tongariro River

Hybrid View

Default Tongariro River

Hi everyone, I got to fish the Tongariro this past weekend with mixed results. The fishing was fairly hard by Taupo standards. Between Q and I we caught 5 fish on the Friday morning and 5 fish on Saturday morning. All rainbows and none of them were very big. The largest was a nice silver fresh run hen of 45cm. The rest were around 40 to 44 cm but darker and not in great shape.
    The river could do with a good flush of rain.
    I did however manage to catch a good cold, hence the delayed report.
    All the best.
    Mike

Thanks for the post Mike. Hope to see some pics. Get well and get fishing.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Hi Mike,

Good to see you made it out to the river, even if things were a bit slow. I thought you were getting lots of rain lately, but I must be behind on my weather reports. At least a few fish came to hand. I just checked the superfly.co.nz website and the reports for the past 5 days indicate you weren't alone in the slow bites, with 10 fish between you being in line with the reports there.

Any info on Rotorua Lakes or the Ohinemuri?

- Jeff

Hey Jeff, you have it bang on with the rain, we have had lots but not in the headwaters of the Tongariro. There was heavy flooding in the North on Saturday and not a drop of rain in Turangi.
    As for the Rotorua lakes I hear they are fishing very well when the wind blows onshore. Some big fish have come out of Okataina this winter and there has been some great fishing of the beaches at some of the smaller lakes like the Blue lake. There was a good run of browns into the Nongataha river on Saturday as well so I may have to try to get down there sometime soon.
    Al the best.
    Mike.

Thanks Mike! I like to stay at the Waiteti Holiday Park when I go there. It's right on the Waiteti and within easy reach of everything. I'll often stopy and have a play at the Waihou and just fish the two pools near the parking lot at White's Road. Anyway, hopefully some of the rain will hit the right spots and bring some good fish up the Tongariro for the next time you're there.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread