+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don Pool, West River

Hybrid View

Default Don Pool, West River

Hi,

Last year my dad saw a show on TV where they mentioned "the Don Pool", but he didn't catch the river. He knew it was in Pictou County though. For the longest time, we kept talking about the "Don Pool" as if it were Brigadoon, and wondered when and where it would finally appear. But then, sure enough, we finally came across it when out to explore fishing the West River for just below the bridge, was the Don Pool in all it's glory!

On that first trip We saw some large sea trout rising, so the draw was there and we've been drawn back a few times. The photo's below are from the first trip.

On my last trip, Jimo (my brother in law) and I went out. He brought along some of the Hardy Bamboo Rods that his great Uncle left him (he used to run a fishing lodge in the 20s). They are in beautiful shape, and once Jim gets more confident in his casting he will probably fish some of them.

Anyway, on our way up we spotted a doe and her fawn on the cottage road. When we arrived at the pool, a bald eagle decided we were cramping his style and took off from his perch overhead. A few fish were rising, and Jimo quickly got a strike from one of the sea trout we had spotted on an earlier trip, but it busted him off immediately.

After that, things were pretty quite. There were fish rising, but no takers. I eventually moved down stream, to where the river "ends" in the photo of my dad and myself below (taken on an earlier trip).

At that spot there's a nice riffle that ends in a right hand bend with another great pool, though smaller than the now infamous Don Pool. I had tied on a green and brown spider, a yellow water cricket, and at the point a black gnat. Almost immediately I had a strike, then another, and finally I pulled an 8.5 inch (21 cm) brook trout to hand on the water cricket. Shortly after that the black gnat took a similar sized brown and another brookie.

I called Jimo down and we switched spots. Up at the bridge I got an adrenaline rush as a monster splash and grab was made at one of the flies, but no hook up. After that, all was quiet for the rest of the morning.

Below are photo's of two small (20 cm/ 8 inch) browns that Vanessa and I caught on our first outing. It wasn't until examining the photo's that I realised they weren't brookies! I just assumed they were before. Must pay closer attention.

My brown:

Vanessa's brown:

Will be back to give it another try to see if we can tempt some of those sea run trout. We're getting close, and I've just about replaced all my flies claimed by the trees! Oh, did I forget to mention that part? Silly me.

- Jeff

Smile

Jeff -

Really enjoyed your report and pics.

Vanessa's smile says it all. What a great picture !! Hard to imagine the look on her face when she hooks and lands one of those monster sea trouts. You best have the camera at ready for that moment, Jeff.

John
    The fish are always right.

What John said. Great report and photos as usual, Jeff. From the looks of that sharply rising bank behind you (or is that all tall grass) a roll cast or a spey cast would work a treat there. Glad to see Pritt's flies are working well for you.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi John,

Yah, it's a great photo - more due to the subject than any photographic skill on my part! Planning on taking the boo out for a test run this evening, so there may be an opportunity to get that shot. Will see.

- Jeff

Hi Ron,

A lot of roll casts were indeed required. There are a few locations where you can get a backcast in though; well, I thought you could anyway! Actually, it was the day I had the waders on and was in the water when I kept getting caught in the trees. I would be fine casting over the river, but then would turn to cast to a new location and forget that the back would end up behind me, and the trees were waiting for me.

I'm very pleased to have Pritt's flies doing the trick. But also, a Dark Betty has done very well too (body Royal Blue floss, black hackle). Our Betty introduced me to her Snipe and Blue, a few years ago (I call that one a Betty Blue, which I now have the materials to tie up as well). At the time though, I didn't have the proper bright blue floss, nor snipe, and ended up with the above dark dressing. It's one of my go to flies, and has taken brookies, rainbows, and browns. Vanessa got the above brown using it.

- Jeff

Excellent report and photos, Jeff. Keep 'em coming.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread