My new fishing buddy suggested we head to the tailwaters of Lake Barkley Dam for our fishing trip. I started out throwing a spoon with spinning gear and caught several white bass. After a while I decided to try my fly rod. I did not know how the steep riprap bank and the fly rod would mix. Am I glad I did! I caught 20 to 30 white and yellow bass. I also caught numerous bluegill and a couple of largemouth bass. The stripes were breaking water everywhere. I was using a goldie that I had tied. Stripped it pretty fast near the surface. Man, it was fun! My first white bass on fly rod. Oh, caught a couple of nice skipjacks also. At dark, the surface activity slowed down and I started working the goldie deeper and slower. Set the hook on a fish that hit, nice black crappie to my hand!

This was my first experience with tailwater fishing, white bass and night fishing with a flyrod. I even enjoyed casting the 8 wt. My buddy caught several stripes throwing a spoon. He really enjoyed fishing this new lure. We saw 2 or 3 minks hunting around the rocks, a wonderful sunset, spoonbill catfish jumping 2 or 3 feet out of the water. Big Rockfish and Hybrids busting shad. Great Blue Herons lined up on the bank/they looked like fisherman standing at thier favorite spot. We had a great time!