Joey and headed to Montana on 6-29 after several tough days fishing the Provo in Utah. The drive was great and made it to Island Park on a single tank. We arrived early afternoon and we went into Slide Inn fly shop to get our camp site and my fishing license. We set up camp pretty quick and took over the semi roofless gazebo. Joey could not wait to go fish and rush out to fish the back channel behind the camp ground. We were pretty beat putting in long days for few fish on the Provo. Joey had 4 fish to hand in 15 min which consisted of 2 rainbows, 1 Brown & 1 Whitey.

The water was ripping through the main channel behind the Slide Inn so we decided to try the waters above $3 Bridge. We fished upstream on the far side of the river. We did pretty well nymphing I had 6 fish in about 2 hours. We hiked pretty far upstream to meet a friend hiking down from Reynolds. It was very difficult walking the banks because they were very muddy from all the afternoon T-storms. There are also several spot where you can step into a very deep mud hole and it happened to me several times. We had good luck nymphing so we decided to switch to dries without a major hatch or rises. It was overcast at 3 in the afternoon and we had several fish take small Stimmies. This was the day that my old faithful Sage SP 590-2 bit the dust at the hands of my son who got his backcast hung up. We had to hike all the way back to the car for a backup rod. I think we fished till 5 or so till the t-storms chased us of the water. We were pretty tired from all the bolder & mud hole jumping. We just kept changing the size up of our dries through out the week and had success. The Salmon flies were down stream and we have yet to hit it right. I hear they are seeing larger numbers of bugs that they have in the past. Its only 14 hrs from Sactown and you could be fishing that night if you leave around 4am. Madison is fishing the best I have seen in the last 5 years.

Writing these reports is starting to feel like home work. I think I would like to sum things up and let the pictures do the talking. Something was off when we got to Montana and we soon found ourselves drained for energy. Not sure but I think Utah had something to do with it. Once we were able to catch fish we started to loose the desire to fish a lot. We caught some nice fish but we missed many trophy fish that were looking up and have not been stuck yet. I hooked very big rainbow inches from the bank who went airborne. I thought I had him in the bag since I had an ideal area to land him but he spit the hook just as I thought it was a done deal.

Too many picture so I will break up into sections

Jet