Joey and I decided to give the middle Provo a try for the first time with a few members of the Granite Bay Fly Casters. We left on Thursday 6-25 and arrived with a little time to check out some of the water. Ordered my license online and was ready to go. We did not fish too much that night but were ready to go the next morning. We hooked up with Jon Malovich who is the Hardy rep for the area and went to 4seasons fly shop for some flies. We fished the Choo Choo section pretty hard and the bite did not pick up till around 2pm on chart copper johns. Jon left us on the water with a couple rods to use. Turns out that our friend Mike had a small mishap and his Scott S3 bit the dust so he was stuck using a top notch Hardy rod. As I recall a few fish we caught on nymphs but I was struggling. I hiked down stream about 100 yards from the tracks and found a nice run. Put on the copper john and on my second cast I hooked a very large fish in the 6-8 pound range who immediately took me down town and popped the hook. Its funny how one fish can keep your perspective about a piece of water. As it turns out I would hook that same fish on next day with the same fly and the same results other than I got a better look at him when he surfaced just prior to spitting the hook a second time. We fished a different access on Sat morning and ran into a couple gents from FishWest and the inventor of the thingamabobber who were doing a stream clean-up. Very nice guys but I am very bad with names. Joey hooked a nice brown and it was taking him downstream in a bad way. He was following in fast pursuit run after run when I saw something I think I would ever see here in CA. Two gents were fishing a run fairly close to each other and when they saw Joey running downstream they reeled up their lines and let him land the fish in their water. Pretty neat to see such sportsmanship in action. Once again the fishing was slow so we decided to hit the Choo Choo section again. Well, you know how it turned out for me but it was another tough day for us all but there were a few fish rising to dries that night.

On Sunday we hooked up with Jon Malovich of Hardy and decided to head up to the mountains to a stream that contained 3? ? 30? Browns. I knew we were getting close when the chip bags behind my head in the truck burst going over the pass at 9655?. I don?t recall the name of the creek but I think we were told to keep it hush. Fishing was slow during the day but Joey was picking up some fish on buggers. We ended up staying late for the evening hatch and the fishing greatly improved.

Turned out to pretty nice day that cooled off pretty quick at that elevation.

The Middle Provo is a very beatiful river that holds some very large fish. We did not time the Green Drakes right and fishing was a little tough. I would consider coming back again.

Tight Lines,

Joe & Joey

Provo Pictures

Joey?s Brown

Big Fish run