+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout - Male or female?

Default Trout - Male or female?

Does anyone have a sure fine way of telling a male from a female trout? I don't take home that many fish, but when I do and find out that I've kept a female, a little bit of guilt hits me. Did I just knock out some future stock? I've heard that much of the "farmed" trout don't usually reproduce fish that survive even though they carry eggs. Some articles I've read mention that the female mouth has more of a rounded mouth compared to the males which has the "hook type" mouth.
    Any input would be welcome...I know, catch and release would solve my dilemma, but I do enjoy a personal fish fry now and then!
    D.A.Flymann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. (from A River Runs Through It)

When she slaps you in the face for accosting her in such a manner.....

Was wondering this myself the other day, after reading someone's post about a hen they caught.

Kirk

Blog Entries

Default trout snouts

was once taught by a guide that if the trout looks like it ran into a wall--nose sort of short, not a nice smooth snout shape--then it is female. my catch includes enough trout of both sorts to make me think this might be true, in a rough sort of way.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

For Rainbows I was told the corner of the mouth will extend past the eye of the fish. So if the corner of mouth is in front of the eye its more than likely a female. Sometimes they fall into the questionable range.

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Normand Guest

dangle some jewelry in front of their eyes, and if they go ape-s*** it's a female.

Males leap in the boat asking, "Please take me away!!! I'm married!!!". Females, when caught, will complain that you smell of beer and fish and leap back into the lake.

it is easy to tell when they are bigger when they are small just got to look harder. the male trout will grow a bit longer mouth and a hooked bottom jaw.

I will use some googled examples;

Males:

Females:

After you hook a fermale ,she will spend a lot of time in Victoria secrets.

Great pics, DazWah! Did you take those yourself, if so you shouldn't be shy about sharing more with us. Also a great lesson in the difference. As trout grow older it is much easier to determine sex, it's the smaller kids I struggle with.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Sexist.................
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

My wife would say through and through...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread