+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uplocking vs. Downlocking Reelseats

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Jim,
    Just cruised the REC site, and saw no mention of a universal reel seat, or what ever they'd call it, working either up or down lock. Do you have any further information?

Is it still in the works, or available now?
    Betty

Betty,

Yeah, I looked on the site as well and can't come across it. The builder that presented it was the one that had talked to them about the idea and they sent him one, perhaps for testing and comment. I can try to get a hold of him and see if he knows when they will be posting it for sale on their site.

Jim

As much as folk like to discuss the effect uplock or downlock has on balance I can't see how the reel seat position will change things as much as the line length.

Consider the forces acting on the rod as a balance beam. You have a 9 foot lever arm with a balance point about 1 foot from the end. That means roughly an 8:1 ratio of how forces act on either end. Moving even a heavy reel an inch or so can't possibly have as much effect as letting out 20 feet of line or switching from a heavy conehead streamer to a light dry fly.

In other words moving the reel an inch forward moves the balance point a little less than an 1/8 of an inch. Changing the length of line from say 10ft to 20ft nearly doubles the load on the tip end (assuming a small fly that weighs near nothing), this would move the effective balance point by almost an 1 1/4". Fly casting is a dynamic equation, you are constantly stripping in line , letting line out, changing from sink tip to floating lines etc. A minor difference in the static ballance point is insignificant to the constantly changing loads during real fishing.

Note: before all the math gurus bombard me with details. I know the above is a highly simplified example. My main point is that the 8:1 ratio of tip end to the butt end means that small changes in the tip load have bigger effects than moving the reel.

fwiw bob venerri offers an up/downlocking reelseat provided you can get ahold of him.
    I've got one on my 8ft 2/3wt gatti and the difference in where you place the reel is considerable.

+ Reply to Thread