+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uplocking vs. Downlocking Reelseats

Hybrid View

Question Uplocking vs. Downlocking Reelseats

Which is better and what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each? Trying to pick out components for my first build. Thinking of using the Struble reel seats just wanting to know the experts opinion.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

raiderhunter,

The experts do have an opinion on this one - each expert has his own opinion - each one different. I am not sure there are any exact scientific advantages/disadvantages but some do feel it matters in the balance of the rod. Mostly I believe this question warrants personal opinion/preferences.

I use both, I like down locking for a long/light weight blank - I agree with the better balance idea (The better balance idea can produce numerous arguments as well).

However the shorter/heavier weight rods I like the up locking as it will keep the reel off the ground when handling the rod. The bottom of the reel seat hits the ground rather then the bottom of the reel. There is a fine line as to which rod might get what seat type when I build it.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Default Search Function

Raider -

If you go to the search function and enter "uplocking reel seat" or "downlocking reel seat" or "uplocking / downlocking reel seat" you will get a listing of prior threads on this subject. For example -

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ing+reel+seats

There are also prior threads on sliding band reel seats which can be found the same way.

John
    The fish are always right.

I think it really comes down to personal choice. I have used uplocking, downlocking and even some with 2 sliding rings (up & downlocking?). They all work. Here are some differences I have noticed...

Uplocking
    - somtimes require a special inset or adding a special cork ring to the handle. This adds effort and complexity to the construction, but looks nice on the finished product. The complexity is avoided if you order a full set, reel seat & cork handle come pre-formed for good fit.

Downlocking
    - moves the reel closer to the butt, some folks like how this effects the rods balance.
    - some of my down locking reels don't fit well in the drift boat. Not enough of the butt sticks out to engage the rod holder.

Sliding rings
    - very light, nice on ultra light rods. May not have enough holding power for heavy reels.

You'll probably find as many differing answers to your question, as there are people responding to it!!
    Personally, I like the down locking on light, short rods, and the up locking on the heavier, longer rods.
    I absolutely love the esthetics of a down locking reel seat! To me, they're more traditional, and the casting stroke just feels GOOD!
    Can't count how many times I've dumped a reel in the river when using a double sliding ring. Certainly NOT my favorite set up!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Talking Decisions , Decisions

Strictly a matter of personal choice!
    Some thoughts though. If your building on Graphite traditionaly most use Up locking. If your building on Cane traditionaly most use Down locking.

You will see variations of all sorts on both Graphite and Cane not only on reel seats, but grip styles as well. My friend .......That's the beauty of building your own rod....... Ed

+ Reply to Thread