At the base level all you really need to do is glue a handle and reel seat onto a blank then wrap and finish the guides and hook keeper....

This post is in NO way a dig at those that take this to an art level 'cause I know it can be done and is by many here...just trying to push a fellow over the edge...

From past experience, it is a process too easily over thought...just to get started!
I totally agree with you brhoff. I view rod building like any other sort of activity. It can be as simple as you want to make it, or as difficult as you want to make it. I think too many guys are put off on trying it because they think you have to do all the fancy butt wraps,weaves, feather inlays and such. But really you don't need to do any of that to produce a really nice looking rod that you can be proud of.

Just like brhoff said, just get started. Don;t try to read too much about all the little details some guys do when your first starting because it can make you think twice about doing it. Get the stuff you need (the basics) like the blank/seat/grip/guides/check/top and dive on in. It's very addicting so you will end up building more than one. And once you do the first then you can start picking up on the little things that help to make a rod ever better as time goes by. But don't "overthink" things for the very first rod

Steve