+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F.E.B. Hopper

Hybrid View

Smile F.E.B. Hopper

For whatever reason, the outside of the casement windows in my workout room in the basement are much favored by the hoppers that dwell in this neighborhood. While working out today, I noticed hoppers for the first time this year. They may not be the first hoppers in the immediate area, since I have been away from home for the best of ten days, but they are the first I have seen, and a reminder to start thinking hoppers.

Went back to the tying desk with JC's Salmonfly and LF's Golden Stone in mind. A few simple adjustments and I had a furled extended body hopper.

I fished a somewhat similar experimental f.e.b. hopper last summer one time and got a lot of looks ( aka refusals ) by the fishies. I think this fly is much improved over that one in several regards, starting with the overall silhouette, the legs, and the blended colors. Hopefully when a fishy sees it from the fish's point of view, he'll think food instead of fake.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 07-13-2009 at 01:36 AM.
    The fish are always right.

What is the body material? I tie a clod hopper pattern that is very similar. But for durability I sub poly yarn for deer hair.

While you were working out? I was at the mall today and saw a hopper on the sidewalk outside. Same as working out.

Question Movement

Quote Originally Posted by steveks View Post
    What is the body material? I tie a clod hopper pattern that is very similar. But for durability I sub poly yarn for deer hair.
    Steve -

The furled extended body is two strands of yellow antron yarn mixed with two strands of brown olive antron. The tag ends of the furled strands are carried forward for some addition body bulk and color, although not as evident in this smaller fly ( size 12 standard dry fly hook ) as in the larger stoneflies ( size 8 3X long salmonfly and size 8 1X long golden stone ).

The salmonfly and golden stone this is patterned after were very successful in a number of places this summer, partly, I think, because the furled extended antron body has some movement that is not so easily achieved with other materials.

John

Default !!!

Nice hopper John! Big Elk is on its way and this bug should do the trick. great work!!
    Mgliss
    Get Em!

Default Big bug?

Hey, John!
    Do you think that a 14 wt will be big enough to toss one of these?

They were all over the place down by the Neches River. This one was about 3" long.

Kirk

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4oldcars View Post
    Hey, John!
    Do you think that a 14 wt will be big enough to toss one of these?

They were all over the place down by the Neches River. This one was about 3" long.

Kirk
    Don't think I have a hook big enough to tie one of those, let alone a rod big enough to cast one !!

John

Quote Originally Posted by mgliss View Post
    Nice hopper John! Big Elk is on its way and this bug should do the trick. great work!!
    Mgliss
    Mike -

Thanks.

Had Big Elk in mind when tying the hopper. Went up there yesterday afternoon - for a hike. It is clear, but still high and fast. Very few hoppers to be seen, and fewer fish. In fact, no fish at all.

The creek looks like it is still a couple weeks away. Might get some action with heavily weighted nymphs, but that isn't my idea of fishing Big Elk. I'd rather be patient and time it right.

John

Default Very Nice!!

That looks awesome, Here in Ketchican, AK i used a hopper on this remote creek. There were no hoppers even out, but did very well! Lookin splended, good luck on the first try.
    UNITY

Thumbs up Hopper Action

The original F.E.B. Hopper was tied with available materials on my tying desk. I was developing the concept and tying sequence and was pleased with the result, but not with the aesthetics of the original.

Picked up some materials which seemed more suitable for tying a fly more resembling the hoppers on the streams I fish. Also tied a CDC variation, using CDC in place of the deer hair for the wing. ( The new version has replaced the original in the first post on this thread. )

Fished both the deer hair and the CDC versions of the hopper on Birch Creek today. The hopper took a hit almost immediately on hitting the water, and moments later hooked up with a nice little bow. Didn't get a picture of that fish, but did get one of the brookie which was next in line just a couple minutes later.

Birch Creek was fishing good today. Fished the deer hair version for about an hour and caught somewhere around fifteen fishies with it. Fished the CDC version about the same length of time with similar results.

All in all, a very successful first day on the water for this new fly. Won't be the last day, for sure.

John

+ Reply to Thread