+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buzz and Betty On Henry's Lake, Idaho

Hybrid View

Default Buzz and Betty On Henry's Lake, Idaho

My fishing buddy, Buzz and his wife, Betty have spent the last month camped at Henry's Lake in Island Park, Idaho. The fishing started off slow, but has redeemed itself during the last couple of weeks. They had early success with a midge pattern drifted under a strike indicator with the wave action giving the fly the movement it needed to get the fish feeding. They dropped two flies, one a bead-head for weight and then the midge pattern as a dropper and were using 12 to 15-foot leaders to get to where the fish were.
    Buzz caught a whopper as reported by John Scott earlier, an 11-lb Cutthroat that was chock full of just midges.
    This past week they have had more success, with Brook Trout making up the majority of the fish caught. Most on midges, but some on scuds (size #16 olive/gray), and some on an old Henry's Lake favorite the Mighty Mouse(a leech imitation, or maybe a Dragonfly imitation).
    Reports from Jimmy's All Seaon Anglers in Idaho Falls say that the annual Damselfly hatch is just beginning so this may be an option for some of you who can get here. Here's the link: http://jimmysflyshop.com/

Anyway, Buzz just got the pics to me so I'll share them here. Enjoy!

Here's another look at the 11 pounder:

Also another view for effect (can you believe how fat this fish is?! Only midges in it's stomach):

Here's the bug that did the job on most of the fish, even the bruiser:

Another nice Cutt:

More pics to come in the next post.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Here are more pics:

Betty with a great fish:

Betty's Brookie caught yesterday morning:

Another Brookie for Buzz:

A nice one in the net:

One more post to get them all...
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Last pic to show Buzz with another nice Cutt:

In all, Buzz reports that it was a fun trip and the big Cutt really made it all worth it, as well as the great Brook Trout.

Things should really be hot for the Damselfly emergence, but will probably slow down as things warm up and won't turn on again until September or so.

Thanks for the pics Buzz!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

I'm so disappointed! I read your title, and thought, "Wow!! I got to go fishing!!" But ... nooooooo ... someone else named Betty!

Hot darn!! She did great!!!!! Beautiful fish!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Kelly,

Wow, some great fishing there in Idaho. Those are some great fish, especially that bow that looks like a salmon. Did I mention WOW!!!! Thanks for the report.

Beaver

PS Is the damsel hatch just as awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Kelly,

Wow, some great fishing there in Idaho. Those are some great fish, especially that bow that looks like a salmon. Did I mention WOW!!!! Thanks for the report.

Beaver

PS Is the damsel hatch just as awesome?
    The Damsel hatch is reported to be the best hatch of the year when one can catch a fish of a lifetime, but it's a rather quick occurence and if you blink you may miss it.
    Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

Default Fantastic Fish

Great photos. You look like you're having a great time. Good for you.

Is that a black miracle midge with a peacock herl thorax?

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Great photos. You look like you're having a great time. Good for you.

Is that a black miracle midge with a peacock herl thorax?
    That is a Chan's Midge using burgundy thread, red scud back with a silver wire rib. The Thorax is white ostrich herl at the front and peacock at the back with pheasant-tail pulled over the top.

Here's a good article on Chan's methods: http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/ta...nomid-tactics/

Hope that helps.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

Thanks for the Henrys update Kelly. My favourite topic. I also have a lucky friend on the lake this summer. I spoke with him yesterday and so far no real damselfly action. I'm hoping the bugs wait untill the 19th, when I will back at Wildrose for another week.
    I also have heard reports of large numbers of brookies, percentage wise this year. Big uns too!!

ed

HLF, you're right about the damsel action - nothing of yet. Just got off of the phone with Buzz and he and Betty caught six nice fish (4 Brookies, 2 Cutts) all near the Targhee inlet in about 10 feet of water using the indicator and midge method. This time the midge was an olive color ( same tie as the burgundy and silver, using instead olive thread, olive scud back and gold wire)and most of the fish had either olive midges or scuds in them, but mostly scuds - no damsels. With the majority of bugs in the fish being olive scuds I think the olive midge patterns were more of a scud imitation than midges.

They're packing up and leaving tomorrow, so this may be the last report I can give of how they're doing.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

+ Reply to Thread