Back in the sixties I started fishing plastic worms on casting tackle using the texas rig.In the 70's I started thinking about fishing them on fly rods.I was given a 12 wgt and so I bought a sink tip 12 wgt and began thinking about fishing plastic worms.I used 22cal.pellets
with a pin hole in them to imitate the slip sinkers and gold wire hooks with their needle sharp hook points to rig the worms on(Texas rig style).I used 6 inch plastic worms.In
the best lake that I fished was excellent spotted bass habitat(lots of gravel points and rocky
drops)On Christmas eve of 1976 I took the 12 wgt and went to L.Martin(in AL),stopped the boat on a gravel point and proceeded to cast that 12wgt with the sink tip 12 wgt and the a
green catalba plastic worm rigged texas style----To make a long story short I caught 26
spotted bass all around 1 to 21/2 lbs.That next day I had the worst case of tendinitis I can
ever recall having----Not from casting that 12 wgt but from fighting all those spots.Now I
am 75 and still fly fishing(went today in fact)and every once in while I break out my 8 or 9wgt and rig a plastic on it.By the way a deadly way to catch bass on plastic worms on either a spinning rod or a casting rod is by throwing 7 inch plastic worms weightless or with a minimum of weight(1/32)referred to as the trick worm technique.